Illness, Health & Nutrition • Single aulonocara baenschi not eating

For discussion on fish illness, health and nutrition.

Moderator: Robin

Re: Single aulonocara baenschi not eating

Postby Bamzam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, treating the food with metro will not have any harm for the other healthy fish or if there ends up not being any parasites/digestive issues? Should I start this now proactively or wait to see their reaction after a couple days of no feeding?
Bamzam

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby tacs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Metro is a drug and as such I'm sure it has impact on kidneys and liver. I have done this before and of course there is no immediate damage but long term might be something else.

I would start with some epsom salts and be getting supplies for treating food if things don't improve. If you are going to have Africans then you might as well be prepared in case something happens by having this on hand if need be. I like to soak the pellets in a bit of garlic guard as a treat anyway plus the fish might get some of the benefits of the garlic. The salts aren't going to hurt and they may get things going again.

Are there several now that are still not eating? When food is not in the water do they sometimes move their mouths like they have something in there ... almost like they are trying to get something out?

The reason you might start sooner than later is that while fish are eating this gets the metro inside them to do its job. Once they reject all food it is a different game altogether. What has me concerned is you reporting that others are spitting out food. That could be signs of spread.

Using this treatment overall won't hurt them as a rule. If they are constantly on metro or prazi then you're going to damage them in the end.

The potential damage from metro is why the MonsterFishKeepers method of addressing new fish intrigues me. I'm going to be looking at that more closely for sure.
John

Keeping fish since 1971
40 tanks
breeding mostly African Cichlids
tacs

Postby Bamzam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:29 pm

Gotcha. Haven't fed all day today so I'm not sure if that was happening just because it was the 3rd feeding in the day yesterday. Havent noticed the mouth movement you mentioned so ill keep an eye out for that. I will order Epsom salt and garlic guard to be prepared and still wait until tomorrow to feed. With the day off from feeding, I should have an answer on the other fish eating or not.
Bamzam

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:50 pm

I would not medicate unless you have a diagnosis on at least one fish. Thready white feces would give you a diagnosis. Thick food colored feces on all fish will give you proof it is not bloat.

My fish spit food out and eat it again all the time. In the end they are eating and swallowing and the food is passing through the body.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby tacs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Not my experience at all
John

Keeping fish since 1971
40 tanks
breeding mostly African Cichlids
tacs

Postby Bamzam » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:36 pm

Thank you all for the input. I agree it doesn't hurt to have some in the house in case I need it someday, so im placing an order for some Epsom salt. I'm going to hold off from using it until Saturday to see how all the fish respond to pellets tomorrow. Caught a decent pic of the tiny one that hasn't been eating.

They all seem a little aggressive today, chasing each other around. Probably bc they're hangry and I'm sitting by the tank not giving them anything lol
Attachments
20200618_192959.jpg
Bamzam

Postby Bamzam » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:11 am

After a day and a half of not feeding, I fed the regular 1mm NLS pellets tonight. Its hard to watch all 20, but from what I could tell, all fish ate well with the exception of the 1 tiny one still. None of the other fish seemed to be spitting out the pellets. No odd behavior, everything seems normal.

I continued to watch the fish and noticed on a couple fish, it looked like a clear feces hanging from their body, so i got a little worried. Kept watching and after a clear portion, the same piece of feces would turn darker to food color. I attached 2 pics, one where its only clear and the second where it turns dark (hard to see the clear part since it blends with the sand, but half of it below the dark part is clear). Is that normal to be part clear and part dark? I havent seen any full completely clear feces. The fact that they all ate well gives some relief but I'm still debating if I should start metro treatments now or just lower the feedings to 2x a day and continue to monitor.
Attachments
20200619_225206.jpg
20200619_224854.jpg
Bamzam

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:26 am

Because you have thick dark feces passing through some of the time...there is no absolute blockage. I would go with Epsom salt at this time. I always keep pure metronidazole on hand, but I keep demasoni.

Why not isolate the little one and see if you can grow him out so he can compete better with the others? That fish does not look skinny at ALL.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Bamzam » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:08 am

The last pics weren't the tiny one, that was a different fish. That's what made me worried that it was other fish that had partially clear feces.

I dont have the space or equipment for a separate hospital tank at this time. Didnt think id have to be ready for that until the fish were a little older and started to breed.

But thank you, ill start an epsom treatment going.
Bamzam

Postby Bamzam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:00 pm

The little guy just never took to eating and passed yesterday. Never got the bloated stomach, so not sure what it was. All other fish seem fine but I think I'm going to soak pellets in metro/focus/garlic as a preventative measure for the others just in case. Do I limit to 1 feeding per day in soaked pellets?
Bamzam

Postby Bamzam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:14 pm

Also, do i stop all water changes while treating for 7 days?
Bamzam

Postby shiftyfox » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Well worth investing in a hospital tank just in case. So much easier to focus on the one fish and treat as necessary as well as being able to use less medication ect (Sorry about your fish loss)
shiftyfox

Postby noki » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm

Just watch the fish now, see if all of the fish are eating and not spitting out the food. Sometimes the fish that are sick look like they are trying to cough, or chewing on nothing. If you can get them to eat the soaked pellets, good.

The best defense is clean water, so don't stop water changes.
noki

Postby Bamzam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:21 pm

Thanks, I do plan to set up a 20g long as a hospital/hopefully breeding tank, but not for a few more months.

I dont know if I'm paranoid from losing the one fish but I feel like a couple of the star sapphires have concave bellies. Started the metro/focus/garlic soaked pellets today. Fish went nuts for the garlic, but there were some uneaten pellets at the end. A couple weeks ago the pellets wouldn't even hit the floor. I plan to do this for at least a week, feeding only 1x a day. Should I be doing any water changes during that time?
Bamzam

Postby Bamzam » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:43 pm

noki wrote:Just watch the fish now, see if all of the fish are eating and not spitting out the food. Sometimes the fish that are sick look like they are trying to cough, or chewing on nothing. If you can get them to eat the soaked pellets, good.

The best defense is clean water, so don't stop water changes.

Oops, sorry, missed this reply. Thanks for the input, will continue to change water.
Bamzam

PreviousNext

Return to Illness, Health & Nutrition