Aquarium Setup • Fishless Cycling-No nitrites detected

New to the world of cichlids? For discussion on how to set up new tanks, including placement, filtration, substrates, water, etc. No stocking discussions here.

Moderators: fmueller, Mcdaphnia

Fishless Cycling-No nitrites detected

Postby Indywar2 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Good evening,

I have a quick question about my fishless cycling. I have read the articles by Mr. Craig and Mr. Elieson. Both I found very helpful. Thanks guys!

I have been fishless cycling a 75 gallon aquarium for about 3 weeks now. About a week ago my ammonia reached zero 24 hrs after add 7 mL (targeting an initial reading of 2 ppm). I have been adding ammonia every other day since then and I have never obtained a nitrite value. I checked ammonia, nitrite and nitrate this evening and the readings were 0, 0, 5 ppm respectively.

Should I be concerned that I have never had a positive nitrite value?

Thanks,
Rob
Indywar2

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fishless Cycling-No nitrites detected

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:16 pm

Yes.

Did you add any established bacteria from another tank or bottled bacteria?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Ichthys » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:33 pm

No. It’s quite common not to see nitrite in a fishless cycle. As soon as the first bacteria start on the ammonia, there’s a trace of nitrite present, so both species start up. The two species of bacteria have slightly different ideal conditions, so the nitrite eaters sometimes can multiply enough to keep on top of the nitrite as it’s oroduced, converting it to nitrate, so it never builds up enough to register on a test. You actually only see nitrite when these are lagging behind. They do in most cases, but not all.
Ichthys

Postby Deeda » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm

It's been awhile since I cycled a new tank but I have always had a nitrite reading during the fish less cycling process and the process has always taken 6 weeks.

Which ammonia product are you using to cycle? Just curious if that may make a difference.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Indywar2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm

DJ, no I did not add bacteria from another source. This was a new startup.

I have performed the fishless cycling on a couple of 20 gallon aquariums for my daughters and they always had nitrite levels right after the ammonia was metabolized. That was why I was a little surprised in this instance. However, this was the first time I used canister filters and had this large of a tank. So the feedback is much appreciated. Thanks Ichthys. It sounds like this may not be totally abnormal.

Deeda: I am using janitorial strength ammonia (ace brand). It is listed as a solution of 10% ammonia hydroxide.

Rob
Indywar2

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:37 pm

I have also always had nitrite and used canisters.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Aquarium Setup