Cichlid Fish Forum banner

What Lake Tanganyika Cichlids should I get?

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Was recently given a 24 gallon/108 litre tank by some friends and would like to put some Lake Tanganyikan Cichlids in it. I was just wondering if you could recommend me as to what species I should consider. I would like at least 2 different species in there to make it more interesting! Would be very grateful if you could respond with some guidance.

Kind Regards,

Blakers

#5 ·
With those dimensions it appears to be a 29G (or 110 liters) which is a more standard size.

Shellies like multifasciatus (6) and a small, peaceful Julidochromis like Gombe. For the Julidochromis, start with six and end up with a pair.

How do you plan to cycle the tank?

#7 ·
Welcome to C-F!!

I suggest you take a look at This article from forum Library to understand the basics of cycling a tank before buying any fish.

I am also not a fan of the test strips you dip in the tank since they usually don't test for ammonia. Consider buying the API Master Test kit as it tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. You may also want to add on the GH (hardness) and KH (alkalinity) kits separately.

Do you have a light fixture, heater, thermometer, substrate and any other type of decor already?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.