General African Cichlid Discussion • Overstock Mbuna Tank

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Overstock Mbuna Tank

Postby 01722 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:08 pm

I have a 4' 60gal that I overstocked with all male peacocks and couple misc. fish- about 12 fish in all. I introduced them all at the same time to the tank and it's been a great success/ very limited aggression. I'd like to do something similar with my 200g 7x2x2. This time I'd like a Mbuna tank. What is a good overstock number to shoot for to keep the aggression down? Also, has anyone had any success in keeping any Lake Victoria cichlids with Mbuna in larger tanks?
125G- Perrot fish, Yellow Lab, Dragonblood, Red Empress, Turkish, Blue Dolphin, Venustus, Red Eureka, Ruby Red, Bicolor, Red Shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, Thickskin, Chromogynos, Synodontis
60G- 18 Mbuna (less aggressive species), Clown Loaches, Synodontis

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Overstock Mbuna Tank

Postby DJRansome » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:30 am

For a mixed gender mbuna tank that is 72" long I like 5 species with 1m:4f of each, depending on the species. This is a good level of overstocking.

I have tried Pundamilia nyererei with them and although they survived, they were very dark and did not show their best colors at all.

Even in a hap and peacock tank I have found that the Victorians I tried did not show their best colors. The one exception for haps and peacocks was Astatotilapia latifasciata...it actually did well but was a little too aggressive to allow my timid haps and peacocks to show THEIR best colors.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion