Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New Tank here in UK

4K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
I'm setting up a 240 litre (63 US gallon) tank of Cichlids.

Once i have the sand in, the rocks and water with the filter running what do i do next?

What liquids/additives do i need to add to the tank to start developing the bacteria and preparing the water the fish?

#6 ·
The water will do nothing, but you could transfer the filter to the new tank to support a small population of fish. Since the new tank is bigger, you may still want to follow the article to build up the bacteria high enough to support all the fish you will have in the new tank.

What are the test results from your tap water? Post the pH, KH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. This will allow us to decide if you need to add anything other than dechlorinator.

#7 ·
Haven't got any water in there yet. It's only a little filter in my old tank but I can probably transfer the ceramic media to my new FX6 to help.

I thought the water would help? So shall I just fill it up tonight and see at the water says tonight just from the tap water?

#8 ·
Just test your tap. Post the results. The old water will do nothing.

Decide if you have to add baking soda or anything else.

Then you can fill the tank (with additives if necessary), put on the old filter and add ammonia for the fishless cycle.

#12 ·
OK then you need to follow the directions on the bottle. The ammonia is way too high for fish but I don't know how the bottled product is supposed to work.

Since you will use tap water for partial water changes, test the tap water and post results here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.