Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Stocking list thoughts

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Dahog 
#1 ·
Hello
I am setting up a 75 gallon mbuna tank and it is currently cycling. I am using the time to do more research. I am planning on going with 4 species. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on the list below. My researched has showed that crossbreeding between the Yellow Labs and Metriaclima estherae Minos Reef could be an issue. If I don't plan on keeping any fry and just letting nature take its course would this still be an issue? I am trying to pick species that have colorful males and females. The Maison Reef Zebra Chilumba doesn't fall in this category but I made an exception because I find the male fish so striking. Thanks again for any and all help.

Maison Reef Zebra Chilumba
Yellow Acei
Yellow Lab
Metriaclima estherae Minos Reef

#3 ·
In addition to letting nature take it's course, you will have to ensure there are no survivor fry. If you also add Synodontis multipunctatus you will have better odds, but you may still have to net the occasional survivor before it is as big as the adults and you can't tell which is which any more. Hybrids can look exactly like either parent.

You also may have the issue with the estherae and the Maison Reef. Maison Reef is a Metriaclima as well. Keep an eye on them...some people find the barred Metriaclima do not have aggression problems with the solid color Metriaclima.

#4 ·
Thank you for the advice. Do you see any problems with any of these species in a 75 gallon? Also if you don't mind do you have stocking suggestions for each of these species? From what I have read the yellow tail acei and maison reef chilumba zebra tend to get larger so I wasn't sure if I should stock differently based on that? Also I am certainly open to any changes you may suggest in my stocking list. Thank you again for your assistance.

#5 ·
1m:4f of each.

I personally had a bad experience with combining estherae and labs, I did have some survivors and no room to devote to them in a separate tank for their 8-year lifetime. I don't like euthanizing fish.

So...I am conservative with mixing species that have ANY chance of crossbreeding. Why not do Cynotilapia sp. hara in place of the Maison Reef? and maybe white labs instead of the yellow labs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.