Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New tank dilemma

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ice Man 
#1 ·
Was unsure whether to post this here or the equipment section, but anyway.

Looking to replace my 48" bow front. The place where my tank sits is in an alcove which is rather conveniently just over 72" wide not so ideal is it's Not very deep with only 16" between a door and the back wall. I like the idea of filling the space with a tank and going with a 72" custom. The draw back is it will only be about 15" deep. The alternative option is to get a 60" which gives me some wiggle room for a deeper tank as I can keep it away from the door. One option is a Juwel Rio 450 which is 20" deep.

I am a bit undecided which way to go on stocking, the options are either Mbuna, looking for something blue so maingano is high on my list with either yellow labs or msobo, plus itungi acei and maybe some Afra's The other option is to go haps/ peacocks. Nothing too big 10" tops.

Would either of these tank options limit my potential fish choice, probably more worried about the lack of depth on the 72" or will this be ok with the type of fish I am considering and the fact the tank will be long will more than make up for it.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Remember you will need some space in the back or sides for your hoses or HOB filter. For Africans you will want some rocks and hiding places. That will take up space that you are hoping will be for the depth. It seems to me that tanks are never big enough. Have you considered dwarf Mbuna? I really like the afra cobue.

#3 ·
I could live with 72" x 16" but not with a tank that was accessible only from the front. But I also don't like big haps...anything bigger than 8" is too big for me.

So if your want 10" fish go with the 72". But otherwise I would do the 60" x 18" with the ability to get around the tank.

72" isn't that long for a 10" fish.

I allow 18" around the sides and backs of my tanks.

But all of those mbuna, including the 7" acei would be fine in either of those tanks. All peacocks and a lot of haps.

Personally I DO find tanks can be too big. After purchasing the 72" tank I found I like the 75G tanks better. Not to keep the fish in smaller tanks, but because I can have more fish in 2 75G tanks than 1 72" tank.

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply's

After writing the post it did occur to me that by filling the space access would be limited and should I need to change anything like filter tubes it's going to be nigh on impossible without moving the tank, and that going to be fish and water out job so far from ideal. As you point out far more sensible to have access plus I can then go with a stock tank. I am likely to stick with mbuna and the 95 gallon Looks to be the sweet spot. As for the opportunity of 2x 95's think that will be pushing my luck somewhat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.