Cichlid Fish Forum banner

33 Long - Shelldwellers

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  naturlvr 
#1 ·
Hello,

I recently moved and got rid of my 75 gallon since I am renting a small apartment for a year and don't want to move a 75 multiple times. I picked up a 33 long (much easier to move) from a friend and am thinking about a shell dweller setup. The tank is 48x12x12, for anyone not familiar with a 33 long. I have an eheim 2213 canister filter. My water is SUPER soft out of the tap, so I would be adding magnesium sulfate, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, calcium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate to the water, as well as traces of iodine, since I have ready really good things about iodine for Tanganyikans.

I have kept multifasciatus in the past, and they were pretty great. This time, I want to try something of a pair/harem spawning variety. L. stappersi/meleagris is at the very top of my list, but they will not be easy to find. L. Ocellatus 'gold' would be a close second, and L. brevis, L. ornatapinis, and others like them would be fine as well.

Would I be able to keep two pairs in a tank this size?

How deep of sand is needed for them to be able to properly bury their shells? Am I right in my understanding that, while multifasciatus always dug straight down to glass, these types usually bury their shells, but are not trying to reach China?

Thank you
pg

See less See more
#4 ·
I am new with shell dwellers. I have Gold Ocellatus in one tank who are starting to bury a few shells. In the other tank I have Lamprologus Signatus who so far are not burying shells. The Gold Ocellatus are feisty defending their locale while the Signatus are more easy going. I love watching them both. Then I have two Pearly Ocellatus that survived ICK when all the others died. They are feisty too and will bury some shells, I am trying to rehome them with little success because I do not have another tank for them. They surprised me by showing up just as I had ordered the Signatus.

#5 ·
naturlvr,

Where did you find the pearly ocellatus? Those are the L meleagris/stappersi I SO would like to keep. Did you find them online, or only local to you?

Thanks for the info on your shellies. You have a few different species that I might come across and your info could be helpful.
pg

#6 ·
I think that, while the length of the tank would be fine, the depth would be a problem, if a few Shellies start defending shells across the tank, the schooling fish would always be within 12" of a shell, and would constantly be chased. If I had a 55 or 75, then I could definitely have some fish to fill in the top part of the tank, but I think this shallow tank would just have them too close to the cichlids's territories all the time.

I also want to keep the bio load low, since I am stuck doing water changes with 5 gallon buckets in my apartment.

Thanks for the site suggestion. I'll keep an eye on what they have in stock, or contact them and see if I can be put on a waiting list.

#8 ·
puddleglum said:
I think that, while the length of the tank would be fine, the depth would be a problem, if a few Shellies start defending shells across the tank, the schooling fish would always be within 12" of a shell, and would constantly be chased. If I had a 55 or 75, then I could definitely have some fish to fill in the top part of the tank, but I think this shallow tank would just have them too close to the cichlids's territories all the time.

I also want to keep the bio load low, since I am stuck doing water changes with 5 gallon buckets in my apartment.

Thanks for the site suggestion. I'll keep an eye on what they have in stock, or contact them and see if I can be put on a waiting list.
The Gold Ocellatus are all over the place. They do not seem to need to be close to the shells much. A couple have sort of claimed shells but most are just swimming around the tank enjoying themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.