Lake Malawi Species • Signs of Parasites

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Signs of Parasites

Postby chefdanrd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 pm

I have a yellow lab that appears to have white stringy feces (mucus). A couple of them are skinnier than the other labs; but I think they may be females because I saw at least one of them holding. Anyway, they are very good eaters, are excited to eat, and are pretty active in the tank. They do not hide for the most part. One does take a break from the action in the tank at times. There are no sunken or bloated bellies that I can tell anyway. Just in case, I started to treat with general cure first and the second dose with seachem metro. I added epsom salt (2T. per 10 gallons) and fed lightly with green peas. They seem even more active after the treatment of epsom salt. I am doing another water change tomorrow (48hrs.). I don't want to misdiagnose and stress the fish with unnecessary interventions. My question is, could this be something else other than parasites?
75G Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Maylandia callainos, Labeotropheus Fuelleborni Katale Island
chefdanrd

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Signs of Parasites

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:42 pm

If they are eating it is not bloat so I would not do metronidazole. Maybe just do the Epsom salt.

Save the meds for when you have a diagnosis else they will not work when you need them.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby chefdanrd » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:52 pm

DJRansome wrote:If they are eating it is not bloat so I would not do metronidazole. Maybe just do the Epsom salt.

Save the meds for when you have a diagnosis else they will not work when you need them.

Thank you for your input. Would epsom salt baths for the tank be best done for only a couple of days at a time? I just don't want to overdo it. Thanks.
75G Labidochromis caeruleus, Iodotropheus sprengerae, Maylandia callainos, Labeotropheus Fuelleborni Katale Island
chefdanrd

Postby DJRansome » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:56 pm

With Africans, Epsom salt can be used as a permanent additive to increase water hardness.

What is your test result for GH? From the tank? From the tap?

You have already added it correct? Once you start getting normal feces, you can decide based on the hardness whether to omit the Epsom salts from new water during partial water changes, or keep it as a permanent additive.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby chefdanrd » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:25 pm

DJRansome wrote:With Africans, Epsom salt can be used as a permanent additive to increase water hardness.

What is your test result for GH? From the tank? From the tap?

You have already added it correct? Once you start getting normal feces, you can decide based on the hardness whether to omit the Epsom salts from new water during partial water changes, or keep it as a permanent additive.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with approximately 61 gallons water after accounting for rocks and substrate. After adding 2T. Epsom salt per 10gallons, the GH was raised from 160 (tap) to 392. I added it Sunday over a period of 5hrs. I will be doing a partial water change today.
chefdanrd

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Are you getting normal feces? If not I would keep the Epsom salts level when you do your water change.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby chefdanrd » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Not quite yet. It is not as stringy or long; but it is 1/4 inch, short, white, and hairlike. I'll keep it at the same GH when I do the water change. Thanks.
chefdanrd

Postby DJRansome » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:52 pm

The length is not important. Thick and food colored is what you want.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby chefdanrd » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks for your help. I learned a lot.
chefdanrd

Postby chefdanrd » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Update: Ever since I started using epsom salt on a more consistent basis the stringy white feces are resolved. I am also feeding green peas once a week and changed the food up a little. I am mixing 2 parts NLS cichlid formula with 1 part algaemax. The fish seem to be more attracted to the food now and are eating well! :D
chefdanrd

Postby DJRansome » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:27 am

Good news!
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species