Lake Malawi Species • Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Who spawned in your tank today ?!!!!

Postby wryan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:14 pm

Another cloud of J. regani fry under the rock in their tank ... probably a consequence of the new 30G species-only tank they are now in ... and and feeding a bunch of white worms I harvested here about a week ago.

Was not able to make the OCA meeting this past Friday, but will have J. marleri, J. regani, and N. pulcher for the August meeting BAP.
wryan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby wryan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Got the wife some angelfish for Mother's Day a few weeks ago at the MCAS auction - two large black veil angels and two smaller zebra angels.

It looked like several of them came down with ich or some sort of white fungus ... cranked the temperature in the tank up to around 84F and treated the tank with some 30+ year-old malachite green (Nox-ich) ... that seems to have taken care of it.

Anyways they have spawned twice - probably 300 eggs each time - but they are gone the next day (eaten I would assume)

It appears the they have paired up with the other variety ... two black veil + zebra combos ...

Need to get some slate so I can pull the eggs.
wryan

Postby BlueSunshine » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 pm

super red top hongi

Christy all pics 4-8-19 112.jpg
BlueSunshine

Postby wryan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:35 pm

The surviving J. ornatus - which I assume is female - paired up with one of her offspring (I had three remaining, after submitting 6 for BAP) and spawned ... probably about 15 or 20 eggs on the back wall of the 10G tank they are in.

Unfortunately, she killed off the other two juveniles just before she did ... :(
wryan

Postby wryan » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Have two pairs of Julidochromis dickfeldi in the 20G Long that I removed the Neolamprologus cylindricus from ... at least one of the two pairs have spawned.

Noticed a number of fry (of various sizes) over the last day or so, hovering around the rock work that I built, that one of the pairs have claimed.

So that makes five species (out of six in the genus Julidochromis) that have bred for me.

Only marksmithi left to do ... :thumb:
wryan

Postby Eilsel » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:37 pm

I thought this one was a dude. Eggspot and everything. Now I know an eggspot is no guarantee that it's male.

I'm interested to see how the fry look if any survive. Image

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Eilsel

Postby wryan » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Brown BNP's a couple of days ago.
wryan

Postby wryan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Julidochromis ornatus, maybe 15 - 20 eggs on the back wall when I went down this morning.
wryan

Postby DJRansome » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 am

I usually think of Julidochromis eggs as being hidden on the underside of a rock...is it unusual for them to be on the wall of the aquarium?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Dooner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:31 am

Don’t know who spawned, but when I finished a deep clean On my 65 mixed hap and peacock tank I noticed one fry hiding in a piece of coral. Since I was or am shooting for an all male tank, someone is messing with me. Ha! Who knows what it is? I think a peacock.
Dooner

Postby wryan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 pm

DJRansome wrote:I usually think of Julidochromis eggs as being hidden on the underside of a rock...is it unusual for them to be on the wall of the aquarium?

I've seen it twice with this particular J. ornatus pair - and at least once with another pair of J. transcriptus I used to have (my original pair)

It's possible that it has occurred more than that, as I've used Azoo sponge filters that attach to the glass with suction cups - and they may lay them back behind those where they aren't easily noticeable. Have definitely had that happen with N. pulcher as I saw the eggs.

OTOH, I've had J. marlieri, J. regani, and J. dickfeldi that seem to spawn on the underside of rocks, although I have never actually observed the eggs (just haven't observed eggs attached to the glass anywhere in the aquariums)
wryan

Postby wryan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:02 pm

BTW ... when I went down there today all the eggs were gone.

I still haven't spotted any fry from the previous spawn. The tank is fairly bare (larger rock sitting on top of three smaller ones to form a "cave", sponge filter, and a heater) but I suppose it's possible they could be in there somewhere ... they are very tiny when they first hatch.
wryan

Postby wryan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:03 pm

Julidochromis ornatus again ... same deal as before: maybe 15 - 20 eggs on the back wall.

The front glass on the tank has some algae on it so it's hard to say for sure, but I thought I saw some movement on the back wall of the tank (which is painted black) ... so there may be some fry in there.
wryan

Postby wryan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:30 pm

Cleaned the front glass (to the right of the heater tube):

Julie Eggs.jpg

Also today:

S. fryeri x 2
wryan

Postby wryan » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:25 pm

Julidochromis ornatus again ...

Pretty sure at this point they are shooting blanks but I could be wrong.

Noticed the Zambian strain of J. transcriptus has evidently started spawning again after I removed the remaining juveniles from the tank.
wryan

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species