South American Cichlids • Pike Cichlid Identification

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Pike Cichlid Identification

Postby Jadetherat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:32 pm

New-ish to keeping cichlids, tank has been running great for a few years, so decided it would be cool to add a bigger boy finally. I have a home for him already if/when he outgrows this tank. He has been fine with my fish, not very aggressive for a pike anyways lol.

Any idea what species he might be? Mostly just trying to figure out how large he will get how quickly. He looks like a baby to me right now. He's been getting more and more color since I got him.

Thanks!
Attachments
20190717_160931.jpg
20190713_143747.jpg
20190713_143809.jpg
20190717_160930.jpg
Jadetherat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Pike Cichlid Identification

Postby BC in SK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am

Not certain which species it is.
The closest match I can find is Crenicichla sp. Guariquito. Seems like a match to me, particularly the prominent vertical "striping". Though definitely not certain that's what it is.
A couple pictures from the internet for comparison:
https://www.ruinemans.com/en-GB/8306/crenicichla-sp.-guariquito-var.-m.html
https://www.aqualog.de/en/lexikon/crenicichla-sp-guariquito-var-2/ This picture is from Aqualog South American cichlid 1. There is also another picture in the Aqualog of this species that looks very much like your fish.
BC in SK

Postby Jadetherat » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:20 pm

I can see that, but they dont seem to have the red like the one I have.

I was thinking he could be a Crenichila Alta perhaps?

Here are some better pics after food and a water change.
Attachments
20190825_113324.jpg
20190825_113331.jpg
20190825_113327.jpg
Jadetherat

Postby BC in SK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Well, first and foremost, markings have to match. A little bit of color on the fins may or may not be significant.
What I can say with 100% certainty is that your fish is not Crenicichla alta. The shoulder spot on C. alta is high up. The lateral line runs through the shoulder spot on C. alta, where as on your fish the lateral line is entirely above the shoulder spot. On your fish, the shoulder spot is pretty much in line with the horizontal stripe, and well below the lateral line. Also, a noted feature of C. alta is a clearly ocelated shoulder spot, where as on your fish, if the spot is ocelated, it is not prominent nor well expressed. Other markings are not a match ( lots of spangling on the body ect.)
Your fish does have red on the end of the dorsal fin and red on the top end of the caudal fin. From what I've seen of many pictures of Crenicichla, the very same species can sometimes vary in terms of fin trim and color. Seems likely to vary from different catch locations, for some species, anyways. And of course, females of many species will often have red in the middle of the dorsal fin, that males lack, though i can't tell for certain whether your fish has this, as the dorsal fin is down in all the pictures.
Your fish does appear to be a saxatiline-type. http://www.geocities.ws/napavalley/5491/spangledpikes.html
If the red coloration on the fins is a distinguishing characteristic, then it probably rules out C. sp. guaraquito There are actually 4 pictures of it in the aqualog. Some show a little red trim on the dorsal, but nothing on the caudal fin. Pictures of a fish that I did find, that matches the red on your fish's fins is C. sp. Urubaxi. Two pictures in the aqualog, with a shoulder spot at least similar to your fish. Unfortunately, no pictures of it, on line. Might have become a described species now (?) and pictures are to be found under a valid scientific name(?).
Anyways, if you know the catch location or a round about origin of your fish (like a country it comes from) that would help greatly, in narrowing it down.
BC in SK

Postby BC in SK » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:41 pm

It probably would be a good idea to also post your pictures at Cichlidae.com and Monsterfishkeepers.com. You would reach more people who are specialized in pike cichlids and/or expert at identifying.
With 93 described species (as well as many, many undescribed species), it can often be quite difficult to identify some pike cichlids. You might get lucky and find some one who is already personally familiar with your particular pike species.
BC in SK

Return to South American Cichlids