General Aquaria Discussion • Blue Crayfish in Cichlid tank??

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Postby SinisterKisses » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:52 pm

There are two species of "electric blue" crayfish commonly sold at stores, and 99.9% of the general public probably can't tell them apart. Especially at the small size stores sell them at.

The first is P. alleni. It is the smaller of the two species, reaching about 5" or so as an adult. They are also the more peaceful species, but crayfish eat fish, it's natural, and most cichlids will eat crayfish.

The second, my favorite, is C. quadricarinatus - or the Australian Red Claw. These guys get big and mean! Males easily reach about 10-12" and are highly, highly aggressive. Definitely NOT something you want in with fish of any kind unless they're food. Again though, once the cray molts, it would be an all-you-can-eat buffet for the cichlids.

In sum, crayfish should not be kept with fish if you value the life of either the cray or the fish. My pair are alone in a 20gal tank, and they are much happier there than they would ever be with fish in the tank.
SinisterKisses

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Blue Crayfish in Cichlid tank??

Postby Stevie Wong » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:50 pm

In my personal expierience with keeping crayfish it depends on the additude of the fish and additude of the Crayfish.I have had crayfish that are totally peaceful and had others that would kill every opportunity they can I say if you are going to mix the two make sure of the following
The cichlid spends most time near the top because crayfish and the fish have as little clashes as possible

Also make sure to choose a fast moving non lazy fish in the event they don't get along make sure to choose a fish that is quick enough to escape the crayfishes range in the event of a conflict

Third of all this might go without saying but make sure the crayfish is large enough to not fit in any of the fishes mouthes

I wish you luck and let me know how it goes
Stevie Wong

Postby GuitarShark » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:00 pm

I wouldn’t risk it.
MBUNAS ARE THE BEST!!!!!

75 gallon Mbuna tank with tropheus, Victorians, venustus, rope fish, peacock eel, 2 plecos , and multiple synodontis
GuitarShark

Postby sandrock » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:59 pm

I wouldn't risk it personally, like others have said one will end up hunting the other.
I would also like to throw a curveball into the mix and give you another thing to consider. when crayfish get older they need to have either a crayfish food or an iodine supplement in the water to help them shed. how would the fish react to an iodine supplement ? feeding a crayfish food may increase the mbuna's chance of getting bloat if it is too high in meat based protein.
I would set up a species tank if I were going too kep them but its your tank if you do get one just keep a close eye and be prepared to remove it at the first sign of trouble.
sandrock

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion