Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Dividing Mbunas

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Presently I have two established tanks. Tank#1 : 75gallon stocked with White Tops and Yellow labs. Tank#2: 55gallon stocked with Saulosi and White Labs. I want to divide up these by adding a new 55 gallon tank I now have. Are the labs the only species that I shouldn't mix of these four? I know I need to move some Saulosi and am thinking of Saulosi,White Tops and either Yellow or White Labs in the new 55. Sound ok?

#2 ·
I would not mix the hara and the saulosi as they are both blue barred fish. When I did this the hara did not color up well. They were much better with the labs in my experience.

#3 ·
DJRansome said:
I would not mix the hara and the saulosi as they are both blue barred fish. When I did this the hara did not color up well. They were much better with the labs in my experience.
Ok. Was hoping the color difference between the Saulosi and hara' s would be enough to put them together. My Saulosi now in my current 55 are 4M/12F. They are in with White Labs. Maybe keep all the Saulosi together in a species only tank and then add another species with White Labs? What would go well with White Lab in a 55? Ideally I wanted to stay with what I currently have divided between the three tanks and still have each with nice color contrast. I have one lone Demonosi that was shipped to me by mistake in a tank by itself and could get more of those but I'm sure what they would be like with any of my current stock. They seem a little more aggressive than what I have.

#4 ·
I did not find the difference to be enough.

Demasoni are both aggressive and delicate health wise. Don't do them if you are not determined.

Personally I would sell the extras and do new species.

But you could do saulosi species and white labs with hara.

#5 ·
DJRansome said:
I did not find the difference to be enough.

Demasoni are both aggressive and delicate health wise. Don't do them if you are not determined.

Personally I would sell the extras and do new species.

But you could do saulosi species and white labs with hara.
So I understand. I shouldn't do Saulosi and White Tops alone but if I have Saulosi and White Labs I can then also have White Tops? That would be a 55gallon with a three.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.