Lake Malawi Species • Stocking Question for 65 Gallon

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Stocking Question for 65 Gallon

Postby KevinW806 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:56 am

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and so sorry for a question that has been asked a million times over

I tried to do the right thing and research online, in forums and at LFS and sadly just can't find straight answers. I have found so many compatibility charts that say what I want will work, doesn't work, can't work, etc and even talked to a few sellers of Mbunas and they all told me something different. I had a 55 gallon mixed Mbuna tank about 12 years ago and it was amazing. My LFS at the time (now on other end of the country) picked everything out for me and told me exactly how to set it up. Everything was awesome and my electric yellows even started breeding. I know I had electric yellows, red zebras and Blue Cobalt (he was the boss of everyone) but not 100% of the rest outside they were all amazing. A horrible hurricane while I was on vacation cost me part of my home, the tank and of course my fish.

Now, 12 years later I am ready to try again. I have a new 65 gallon 36.4W x 18.4 D x 25H with a Fluval FX4 and extra BioMedia going through a fishless cycle as I type. The only d├ęcor is a Holey Rock from Universal Rock as a center piece and another holey rock cave. In looking at <vendor name removed> I'm not sure I agree with their stocking numbers as they seem to be telling people to overstock at what I think is a very high amount of fish per gallon (but I'm no expert). With all this said I am looking to "overstock" a little to cut down on aggression but would love thoughts on this mix of Mbunas for color. I know water changes will be a heavy thing and ready to take that on with daily monitoring. These are picked for color and looks in hopes of an active but not deadly tank setup

3 Cherry Red Zebra
3 Lupingu Purple Afra
3 Electric Yellow Cichlid
3 Metriaclima Zebra Kawanaga Gold
3 Cobalt Blue Zebra Cichlids
3 Afra Jalo Reef
3 Lwwasi Trewavasae
1 White Lab
1 Chewere Elongatus

<vendor name removed> says when you buy 3 unsexed juveniles they try to do 1 male to 2 females but can't promise. I am planning to do all juveniles at once in hopes of them growing together.

Thanks for all that help to get me information that the internet has let me down on :popcorn:

Kevin
Last edited by DJRansome on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cichlid-forum would like to keep review-type information out of the forums, and in the Reviews section instead.
KevinW806

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Stocking Question for 65 Gallon

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 am

Welcome to Cichlid-forum!!

Sorry to say that list sounds deadly to me, especially in a 36" tank.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby KevinW806 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:20 am

Thanks DJRansome. Would you have a recommendation for what should be removed from the list I provided?
KevinW806

Postby DJRansome » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:04 pm

I do not have luck with trios or even quads. Maybe you could do 1m:4f of the yellow labs and 1m:4f of a blue barred Cynotilapia? But choose one species of Cynotilapia...the afra or the Lupingu.

In a 36" tank I would skip Metriaclima (includes all the zebras on your list), Elongatus, Labeotropheus in any number.

The 36" tank is very limiting for mbuna...they do better in a 48" tank and some of the more aggressive ones on your list even a 48x18 75G tank.

Ideally I would do one species for 36" and 3 species for 48x12 and 4 species for 48x18 if you choose less aggressive mbuna and do all mixed gender.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby KevinW806 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:54 pm

DJRansome wrote:I do not have luck with trios or even quads. Maybe you could do 1m:4f of the yellow labs and 1m:4f of a blue barred Cynotilapia? But choose one species of Cynotilapia...the afra or the Lupingu.

In a 36" tank I would skip Metriaclima (includes all the zebras on your list), Elongatus, Labeotropheus in any number.

The 36" tank is very limiting for mbuna...they do better in a 48" tank and some of the more aggressive ones on your list even a 48x18 75G tank.

Ideally I would do one species for 36" and 3 species for 48x12 and 4 species for 48x18 if you choose less aggressive mbuna and do all mixed gender.

Thanks DJRansome. I appreciate your help. Sadly the 36 inch was all I could get for the space I had. Wish it would've been a 250 gallon but wife wouldn't okay it so 36" wide was all it could be. I think based on your recommendation I'll have to rethink what I was planning. Thanks again
KevinW806

Return to Lake Malawi Species