Lake Tanganyika Species • Altolamp Deformity?

Discussion regarding only Lake Tanganyika species.

Moderators: Mcdaphnia, nodima

Altolamp Deformity?

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 pm

I've seen photos/video of a similar skull structure on A. Compressiceps, but it was always an older fish. Wondering if this is a deformity? This one is about 2.25." I've had a group of these for about 45 days. Muzi is the locality. Just smart phone pics.

20190428_152201.jpg

20190428_152717.jpg
Iggy Newcastle

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Altolamp Deformity?

Postby DJRansome » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:51 pm

Ouch!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Yep...

Here's fmueller's 240 Tang tank, from back in the day. Gold head type Comp at the 2:05 mark has a similar 'Deformity.' But looks like an elderly Male. I'd like to know if this is hereditary.

Iggy Newcastle

Postby Samadhikash » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:22 pm

I don't have personal experience here, but this brings to mind the "horse mouth" or "horse face" problem I've seen mentioned on this forum. Posters who have mentioned it include Razzo and BioG. Something to do with bones or tendons popping out of place in alto's mouths. There's a few in depth threads about it somewhere on this forum but I can't find them at the moment. Don't know if it's the same thing but might be a place to start investigating. Here's one of the threads about it... https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/vie ... 0&t=214025
Samadhikash

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:24 pm

Wow... exactly what I needed. Thank you! Knew I saw pics of it somewhere on here...
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Razzo » Thu May 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Yep, it's a distended mouth and not a genetic deformity. There's a bone which I call the switch blade that recesses into a hole when the mouth is to be closed. With this condition, the bone and hole are not in alignment for whatever reason. Sometimes you can help guide it back into place. It has been my experience that it will usually re-occur. This condition would probably be fatal in the wild; but, in a tank with plenty of food, they will adapt and survive with this condition.
Recovering frontosa breeder (I have had a relapse)
Razzo

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 30, 2019 6:41 pm

Nice to see you here Razzo!
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Razzo » Fri May 31, 2019 10:53 am

DJRansome wrote:Nice to see you here Razzo!

Thanks DJR :D
Razzo

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Razzo wrote:Yep, it's a distended mouth and not a genetic deformity. There's a bone which I call the switch blade that recesses into a hole when the mouth is to be closed. With this condition, the bone and hole are not in alignment for whatever reason. Sometimes you can help guide it back into place. It has been my experience that it will usually re-occur. This condition would probably be fatal in the wild; but, in a tank with plenty of food, they will adapt and survive with this condition.

Thanks mister.
I echo DJ's comment!
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Razzo » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Iggy Newcastle wrote:
Razzo wrote:Yep, it's a distended mouth and not a genetic deformity. There's a bone which I call the switch blade that recesses into a hole when the mouth is to be closed. With this condition, the bone and hole are not in alignment for whatever reason. Sometimes you can help guide it back into place. It has been my experience that it will usually re-occur. This condition would probably be fatal in the wild; but, in a tank with plenty of food, they will adapt and survive with this condition.

Thanks mister.
I echo DJ's comment!

Hey Iggy! Good to see some familiar names after being away for a while.

I got out of the hobby a few years ago when we packed up our home in South Bend, IN and moved to Southwest Florida. I burned out pretty bad on the cichlid hobby. Too many tanks for too long. I burned so bad it took me almost three years to walk down the fish isle at Petsmart. No joke. The cichlids I mess with now are Peacock Bass while fishing in the Everglades :D LOL, catch Oscars and a cichlid they call a Myan cichlid. Pretty crazy! In the middle of the Everglades :o Lots of plecos down here too.

I'm toying around with the idea of getting one (and only one tank). I love tangs so it will probably be a Tang tank. I live in a high rise condo so it will have to be an acrylic tank (don't want to risk a glass tank leaking).
Razzo

Return to Lake Tanganyika Species