Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Shell dwellers

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wryan 
#1 ·
Hello

Setup a 130l tank for couple of months now, had 4 golden julis, 1 was twice size of other 3 , had them sent by post, anywsy it killed the other 3, its now in quarantine tank temp, got 4 neolampralogus similis in there and goin* to get another 4 golden julis too, so after 2 weeks found 2 similis dead ,they just difnt seem to interested in any food, other two i have seen eat so i guess that was the problem, am i doing something wrong or does this just hsppen sometimes with Tang cichlids i bit dis-heartened

#2 ·
One 30 liter tank is a bit small even for the dwarf shell dwellers. Or is it a 130? An 80 liter tank if it is shallow in design would be OK for shellies, or a pair of Julidochromis. I do use some foods with ocean originated ingredients. I suspect some cichlids from that lake need more in the way of minerals and salts (not NaCl) than others. Shipping delays or improper handling can cause problems. i once got a box of fish that the delivery driver had thoughtfully put by his heater in the truck to keep them warm. The water inside the bags was literally too hot to touch.

#4 ·
I'm keeping several species of the dwarf julies (ornatus, transpcriptus) in 10 gallon tanks successfully, and larger species (dickfeldi, marleri, regani) in larger tanks (20G Long to 55G)

All the julies are aggressive fish towards conspecifics ... most particularly once they have paired up (towards those outside the pair) and/or grown up.

They have to be watched/monitored for exhibiting signs of aggression and fish that are being targeted will need to be removed.

#6 ·
wryan said:
I'm keeping several species of the dwarf julies (ornatus, transpcriptus) in 10 gallon tanks successfully, and larger species (dickfeldi, marleri, regani) in larger tanks (20G Long to 55G)

All the julies are aggressive fish towards conspecifics ... most particularly once they have paired up (towards those outside the pair) and/or grown up.

They have to be watched/monitored for exhibiting signs of aggression and fish that are being targeted will need to be removed.
Within a day it looks like there is a pair, they are about 6-7cm big, is this possible, already i have to rehome the other 3 ?

#7 ·
John arnold said:
Within a day it looks like there is a pair, they are about 6-7cm big, is this possible, already i have to rehome the other 3 ?
If I had to guess, I'd say so ... it's even possible the pair bond had developed prior to you acquiring them, assuming it's between two of the fish you most recently acquired.

#9 ·
Simple:

Take the rocks out ... and then see which two hang together and go after the others and drive them up into the corners.

I have a pair of J. marleri that just spawned ... and they won't let the other three anywhere near the side of the tank where they spawned - the others are confined to about 1/4 of the tank ... and they are still getting attacked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.