Cichlid Fish Forum banner

New Setup

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bobsled 
#1 ·
Set up my wife's goldfish tank last night (took longer than I anticipated, substrate was really dusty). The tank has lots of air bubbles everywhere (glass walls, fake plants, even the sunsun's intake tubes. I used a glass cleaner to remove them from the glass and I moved around the plants. But they persist (although in lower numbers). When can I expect them to completely go away?

As far as cycling it, I'm using Seachem's Stability for 8 days and then I'll add ammonia after that and go from there.

Specs: 72 gallon custom tank (kinda square-ish shaped), Sunsun 304B filter with 4 liters of Seachem Matrix and the usual course, medium and polishing pads, two sponge filter in each corner, BeamWorks 36" LED light, Million Air 400 air pump, Hygger 200W heater (they're goldfish). All sitting on a home made cabinet.

Here is a picture w/o water added.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
What are the dimensions of the tank? I'm not much of a goldfish person, but I found this.

Common goldfish are actually one of the largest species and they can grow up to 18 inches in length. For a single Common goldfish, some experts recommend a minimum tank size of 40 gallons and a 55-plus-gallon tank for two goldfish. On the other hand, Fancy goldfish can live happily in a 20-plus-gallon tank by themselves or in a 30-plus-gallon tank for a pair.

#5 ·
^ 36 5/8 x 25 5/8 x 22 5/8 (WxHxD). It was a custom build that the person didn't come back for I guess.

Anyway, these fancy GF were given to us by the neighbor when they moved back in January. There are four of them in a 29 gallon tank with a fluval 106. Both the tank and the filter are WAY too undersized. Anyway, after I cycle the tank (currently on day 5 of the cycle), I'll slowly move them over. Here's a pic of two of them. Their bodies are 5" maybe 6" w/o the tail. Not sure how much bigger they will get. She told us they had them for 3 years before they them to us.

20190223_100631[1].jpg

Next, I'll be setting up a 75G for an Oscar or a flowerhorn (haven't decided). I'm currently building the stand/cabinet.

#8 ·
DJRansome said:
They are a cold water fish...not too much heat. I would not add any fish.
Which brings up another good point. As I cycle the tank, everything I have read says, keep the tank at about 85F while cycling it since BB thrive better in warm water.

Once I am done cycling it, I will let it drop to about 72 - 74F, then transfer the fish. But, would BB easily survive/thrive in 72F water?

Yeah, I do not plan on adding any additional fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.