General African Cichlid Discussion • Aggression Issues

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Aggression Issues

Postby Mamba626 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:38 am

I have this large beautiful fish, that I am not 100% sure the species of, that is super aggressive. It has killed every single fish we’ve ever put in the tank with it, except an eye biter, and I expect that’s just because they occupy different levels in the tank. We’ve had cichlids for well over 15 years and this is the first fish that we’ve ever had this much trouble with, and it’s driving me bananas. We bought new fish just today and he’s already honed in on his first victim and I fear it won’t even last the night. Any tips for introducing new tank mates, or maybe ways to make the tank better suited to this fish's territorial nature would be greatly appreciated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O7Cd1x ... p=drivesdk
Mamba626

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Aggression Issues

Postby noki » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 am

Orange Blotched Zebra mbuna. It can be hard to add new fish to a tank with an established dominant bully. Are the fish you just added juveniles? Or larger fish? Sometimes they might just ignore juveniles, since they are no threat to his power.

You may just have to start over, or just keep him alone.
noki

Re: Aggression Issues

Postby Mamba626 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, and identification. The new fish are not much smaller than he is, maybe by an inch or two. Perhaps that’s been our problem all along. We’ve always tried introducing comparable sized fish in the hopes that someone his size would challenge his dominance and put him in his place... we’ve put 2 or 3 much smaller fish in at a time and he will just eat them immediately, so I’m at a loss. Maybe he needs to be an only child
Mamba626

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion