General African Cichlid Discussion • Fronts or dolphins or both?! Returning member here

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Fronts or dolphins or both?! Returning member here

Postby eighteighty » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:29 pm

Happy new year! I was a very active member on this site around ‘02-‘05 under a different name, with 11 tanks at one point - even won tank of the month in April ‘04. I’m about to set up my first tank in 10 years.

I want to set up a 125 with sand and minimal/natural rock. Can’t decide between frontosa or blue dolphins and hate mixing lakes but might try to keep both together. Is that total blasphemy? I’d like to stock with some 5-7” fronts, so I’m thinking around 4 or 5, and maybe 5-6 of some smaller moorii. Never kept Fronts before. Diets should be pretty similar right?

Will likely use 2 canisters; I used to use the Filstar XP3s back in the day. Any thoughts concerning my plans? Where are you guys ordering your fish from?
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fronts or dolphins or both?! Returning member here

Postby nodima » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:59 am

Prob best to go with one or the other.
180 gal - Tanganyikan community tank: Tropheus Bemba, Synodontis Petricola, Compressiceps

125gal - South American community: Geophagus, Acara, Angels, Severum, Festivum

75gal - Planted SA tank
nodima

Postby DJRansome » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:21 am

nodima wrote:Prob best to go with one or the other.
Plus one.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby eighteighty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:28 am

I fee he same way. Wanted to get more color and intrigue in there but I never liked mixing lakes much and wouldn't feel right about it.

Will look for some WC Zaire if I want to breed, or some F1 if I don't and decide to include some altolamps or synos or something.
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby punman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:26 pm

I have heard of people combining. I tried in once but my frontosas were a lot bigger and picked on the dolphins so I pulled them. Diet was not an issue. I wanted a breeding tank so probably just as well the frontosas were on their own. How long is your tank?
Tanganyika Cichlids all the Way!
90 Gallon: Tropheus Black Bemba
135 Gallon: Frontosa mpimbwe f1 and A. calvus
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
punman

Postby eighteighty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:44 pm

I don't have one yet but planning on a 125g 6' tank. I've always loved the dolphins so maybe I could get away with some in a future 75 or 90g.

My wife didn't know me in my previous fish-phases so she's in for a real treat...
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby eighteighty » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:47 pm

Last night she asked "can we put some castles or divers and different colored gravel?"

I eye-rolled so hard I got a migraine
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby Kipnlilo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:27 pm

eighteighty wrote:Last night she asked "can we put some castles or divers and different colored gravel?"

I eye-rolled so hard I got a migraine

I would hate to be the bookie placing bets on this one. Lol! Good luck, I hope you have a really understanding wife. Mine hated it at first, but has since grown to like it.
125G x2 Male Hap Peacock Mbuna
55G Female Hap Peacock
40G Mbuna
10G Hospital
:fish: :fish: :fish:
Kipnlilo

Postby noki » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:06 am

You should pick one of the two and do it right. Blue gravel with a classy big castle ruin would look good with Frontosa.
noki

Postby eighteighty » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm

noki wrote:You should pick one of the two and do it right. Blue gravel with a classy big castle ruin would look good with Frontosa.

Haha seriously? I’ll have a painted black background, sand, and a few large boulders. Maybe I’ll make her an angel tank with bubbling treasure chest or something in the future if she likes the fish :D

This is basically the tank I want:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4bk13tYuHC0
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Postby Thalas_shaya » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:02 pm

LOL. I had to get one cheesy decoration for my wife who has seen me through the early and very obsessive days of my fish-keeping hobby, through my FOWLR turned easy-coral turned hard-coral salt phase, and back into my four-kids-and-no-time-what-can-live-in-our-tap-water phase. :) So I got her Sandy the Squirrel, cuz we're from Texas, y'all.

Look forward to seeing pics of whatever you do. I love the look of the Fronts. Something about the high foreheads on the dolphins weirds me out. :o

The linked Mpimbwe tank is VERY zen. :thumb:
-110gal Mbuna Tank -- baby plants and Lab. caeruleus and Syn. nigriventris
Thalas_shaya

Postby eighteighty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 am

I'm actively looking for a tank now! I've pretty much ruled out a 125, and am looking for a 135, 150, or 180 (if I can have a look in the crawlspace and determine the floor will hold or need to be supported).

I love the dolphins for the same reason that those big adults just look like alien weirdos. I'm looking into starting a front breeding "operation" to share with others, so I'll need a 40gal breeder soon after. Will post progress along the way. But I will convince the wife in due time to let me have another big tank so I can get dolphins :D
150g Fluval FX5 & FX6
9 F0 C. gibberosa Moba
2 F1 A. calvus Black
eighteighty

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion