Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Oscar havoc

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Ichthys 
#1 ·
In my 125 g I have two Oscars that were supposedly raised together. They are about three years old. The tiger, Cali, has become super aggressive towards the red, Hu. Nightly, Cali cleans a large circle then tries to round up her "mate." Hu wants no part of it so then this horrible chase begins. It ends when Hu is all beat up and I interrupt it. They are now separated. Last night at 2 am, Cali broke through the divider. What a hussy.

I feel it best to re-home one of them which is breaking my heart. They are both beautiful but Hu is more laid back so I am thinking I will keep it. I'm asking my lfs to find a good home for one of them. They will make sure the buyer has the appropriate size tank.

Can I assume that Cali is a female? Which sex clears the nest?

#2 ·
If I remember with my Managuense, it was the that moved the objects, but I also remember the female cleaning the rocks that she was going to lay the eggs on.

#4 ·
Both sexes prepare the spawning site. Since they haven't spawned in 3 years, chances are they're the same sex. Since females will often spawn together, it's most likely you have two males. One is preparing the site and waiting for a female, so the other one has to leave. Nothing is certain though. That's just conjecture from experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.