South American Cichlids • Oscar havoc

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Oscar havoc

Postby sherco » Tue May 01, 2018 10:30 am

In my 125 g I have two Oscars that were supposedly raised together. They are about three years old. The tiger, Cali, has become super aggressive towards the red, Hu. Nightly, Cali cleans a large circle then tries to round up her "mate." Hu wants no part of it so then this horrible chase begins. It ends when Hu is all beat up and I interrupt it. They are now separated. Last night at 2 am, Cali broke through the divider. What a hussy.

I feel it best to re-home one of them which is breaking my heart. They are both beautiful but Hu is more laid back so I am thinking I will keep it. I'm asking my lfs to find a good home for one of them. They will make sure the buyer has the appropriate size tank.

Can I assume that Cali is a female? Which sex clears the nest?
sherco

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Oscar havoc

Postby smitty » Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am

If I remember with my Managuense, it was the that moved the objects, but I also remember the female cleaning the rocks that she was going to lay the eggs on.
150gal- Dovi; 3 AC 110 P. Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC P. Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maclcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC 110 P.Filters, 2 AC 110 P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5
smitty

Postby sherco » Tue May 01, 2018 1:19 pm

Did you mean the male moved the rocks? Thanks a lot!
sherco

Postby Ichthys » Tue May 01, 2018 4:22 pm

Both sexes prepare the spawning site. Since they haven't spawned in 3 years, chances are they're the same sex. Since females will often spawn together, it's most likely you have two males. One is preparing the site and waiting for a female, so the other one has to leave. Nothing is certain though. That's just conjecture from experience.
Ichthys

Postby sherco » Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am

That is the scenario I am leaning towards. After rehoming the red Oscar, will the tiger who is the aggressive one be a aggressive with any other non-Oscar fish I put in the tank?
sherco

Postby Ichthys » Wed May 02, 2018 4:19 pm

Your guess is as good as mine, and I've kept and bred Oscars for a long time. Even if they're not ready to breed you wouldn't know for sure till you try it...
Ichthys

Return to South American Cichlids