General African Cichlid Discussion • Im new to the cichlid world. HELP!!

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Im new to the cichlid world. HELP!!

Postby Christiekk » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 am

So i just got two purple cichlids. Im realizing that one of them is picking on the other. They are both female. They are living with male guppies. I read that if you simply put the aggressive one in time out it may help. Shes currently sitting in time out. And immediately everyone in the tank seems happy. My guppies had all been hiding at the top and the lesser of the two cichlids was conatanly being chased and now she is content also. My question is how long can i keep the bully in a holding cell for lack of better words lol. Should i return her to the store if she is still being mean? Help!!
Christiekk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Im new to the cichlid world. HELP!!

Postby Old Newbie » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:20 am

Put her in"time out" may or may not help. I'm thinking you may have more problems than just that. Cichlids and guppies are probably not a good combination. What size is the tank? What kind of cichlids are they? African Cichlids usually do better in several groups with a male and several females in a tank at least 48" long. Are you sure they are females? If they are they are probably Mbuna as they are more colorful than females of other species. Mbuna are very aggressive and really need to be in groups to curb their aggression.
90g Metriaclima Estherae, Metriaclima Lombardoi, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Synodonitis Nigrita
55g Psuedotropheus Demasoni, Synodontis Nigrita
55g Astatatalapia Latisfaciata
Old Newbie

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion