General African Cichlid Discussion • Yet another stocking question.

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Yet another stocking question.

Postby PlayerSixtyfour » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:26 am

Hello everybody,

So I recently stumbled onto a 75g tank that was such a good price I couldn't pass it up.

I want this tank to be a cichlid tank. I've been doing some research and am very attracted to the peacock cichlids. I really love their color.

I do want to plant this tank as well. I just bought it home today and am going to get a stand and filter tomorrow morning so I can start cycling for a while so I have time to plan.

I've read online that peacocks do alright with coolie loaches. Honestly I'm not exactly sure how many fish this tank can hold. I was looking at getting an aquean quietflow 75. This is the same set up I have in my 55. Its 400G/ph. I was also going to do a sponge bubble filter on the opposite side witch should help with aeration.

So really can I put cichlids with some loaches? How many can I get? I know I read the general rule is 4 females for each male. Is there any other colorful cichlid I can match with the peacocks?

I'm new to civvies and this is very exciting. Thanks :)
PlayerSixtyfour

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Yet another stocking question.

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:08 am

I don't see how coolie loaches could work with peacocks. Both are very cool fish, although the coolie loaches burrow so you might not see much of them. I would keep them in separate tanks each set up for the needs of the different fish.

Are you doing mixed gender peacocks? You are OK with the silver/brown females? I don't want to talk you out of them, I prefer mixed gender tanks myself.

In a 75G think in terms of 4 species with 1m:4f of each. For the other three species I would do maybe 1 haps and yellow labs and acei. The labs and acei are mbuna with colorful females.

A favorite hap is Placidochromis electra.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby PlayerSixtyfour » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:07 am

Okay.

Honestly I never consodered an all male tank. I figured all male would just be asking for territory issues.

I've been sifting though a lot of information and have found a lot of conflicting info.

Those yellow labs look gorgeous. I would love to have some in the tank!

That leads into my next question. How many can I actually put in a 75 gallon? (I'm going to plant pretty heavily.)

Lastly; what is cichlid salt...?
PlayerSixtyfour

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:58 am

All male is a difficult tank...you need extra tanks and a rehoming plan and will have to tinker with the mix for up to two years. Not every fish will show full color. You are asking for and willing to accept issues. Read the all-male article in the Cichlid-forum Library.

If you do mixed gender, 1m:4f of each and 4 species means 20 fish. Cichlids eat and uproot plants but that is another challenge you accept going in.

Cichlid salt is something that is sold to the uninformed...get a test kit and post test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for your tap water. You likely will not have to add anything to your tank but dechlorinator.

Peacocks and haps will be easier on plants than mbuna (labs and acei). But mbuna have colorful females and peacocks and haps do not, so is the color more important or the plants?

Allow six weeks for the cycle.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby PlayerSixtyfour » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 pm

I've been reading up a ton on how to do the plants but even if they destroy them it wont be the end of the world to me. As the tank will be great even with just rocks.

The I've read quite a bit now on the acei and haps mostly because I'm slowly falling in love with their colors. I'm thinking red empress Haps for some red in the tank.

And yeah mixed gender just sounds a lot better.

From my research it looks like yellow labs are a type of hap (or is this more misinformation?) Is it okay to do a male yellow lab w/ 4 females and a male red empresa w/ 4 females? (Then 5 of the acei and 5 peacpcks ofc.)

And I'm guessing theyre all okay eating veggie chuncks and cichlid pellets?
PlayerSixtyfour

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:18 pm

The empress is too large for your tank. Choose fish that mature <= six inches.

Labs are mbuna. Labidochromis caeruleus.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby PlayerSixtyfour » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:19 pm

So here is my tentative plan.

Otopharynx Lithobates (yellow blaze)

Pseudotropheus Acei (yellow tail acei)

Aulonocara Fort Maguire (Fort maguire)

And lastly I really like the Labidochromis freibergi but also really like yellow labs but from everything I'm seeing either should work.

(Please correct me if any of these are wong or bad choices. I'm always open to suggestions)

I'll keep the tank at 79 degrees and gotta plan my aquascape and cichlid-proof my plants ;)
PlayerSixtyfour

Postby DJRansome » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 pm

All labidochromis are not peaceful like the yellow labs. Also I have never seen that fish available for sale.

If you like the blue barred fish, how about 3m:12f Pseudotropheus saulosi and 1m:4f Pseudotropheus acei?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby PlayerSixtyfour » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:56 pm

Yeah I just dug deeper and found that the Labidochromis freibergi is on the more aggressive side. I'll just stick with the yellow labs. I just want a good balance of blue and yellow. The silver on the female peacocks will blend real nicely too.

So I'm thinking 1m/4f for each listed.

The only other this is the Pseudotropheus acei is the smallest of the bunch by about an inch. But I dont think that'll make too much of a difference with 20 fish in the tank.
PlayerSixtyfour

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion