General African Cichlid Discussion • Overstocking Question

For general questions and issues. Post here if you are unsure of their origin or if you have questions about mixing.

Moderators: DJRansome, nodima

Re: Overstocking Question

Postby BlueSunshine » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 pm

marten wrote:Quick question,
Is there a way to do an Mbuna tank without overstocking it?

I have some knowledge, but making some plans for a 90 gallon, and not sure if I want to buy a second canister + so many fish to overstock.

All male or male/female mix?
BlueSunshine

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby marten » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks for your help guys,
I've looked through the cookie cutter lists and my plan at this point is this:

-Finish setting up the tank and get a cycle going for a few weeks.
-Introduce some deep water Haps and let them grow for a few months.
-Introduce a group of Yellow Labs
-Introduce a group of Purple Acei

If i introduce them over a period of time, I can upgrade the filtering if i need to, and it won't be as expensive to get it started. Does that make sense? Assuming I buy juveniles, how much time would I have before they all need to be in there? Also what should the M:F ratios be for those groups of fish?
90G - Deep Water Hap, Red Shoulder, Yellow Lab, Yellow Tail Acei
marten

Postby DJRansome » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:10 pm

1m:4f of each will work and keep your numbers low. You can add groups once a month or once a year or however often you want.

If you have less than 12 fish at the beginning, they may hide a lot.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby marten » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:43 pm

DJRansome wrote:1m:4f of each will work and keep your numbers low. You can add groups once a month or once a year or however often you want.

If you have less than 12 fish at the beginning, they may hide a lot.

Excellent! :)
marten

Postby marten » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm thinking about Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" instead of the Deep Water Haps, to keep together with the Yellow Labs and Purple Acei. Would those be interchangeable?
marten

Postby DJRansome » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 pm

This is a `10 inch fish and timid. Not interchangeable.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Cich Guy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Hi guys, I have 24 mixed cichlids in my 90, mbunas, peacocks and haps. The largest fish is 6" and the smallest Labidochromis caeruleus is about 2".
They all get along great, keeping in mind that fish are like people, all have different characters. I have eliminated the overly agressive ones over time and now have a balance.
They will chase each other occasionally but no damage, just intimidation so it can be done. One thing though, use 2 canister filters, offsetting the cleaning of each, it will make a big difference.
I rubn a Marineland C360 and a Penn-Pax Cascade 1000, all bio, no chemical filtration EVER except for medicine removal. Good luck with you 90!
Cich Guy

Postby marten » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Cich Guy wrote:Hi guys, I have 24 mixed cichlids in my 90, mbunas, peacocks and haps. The largest fish is 6" and the smallest Labidochromis caeruleus is about 2".
They all get along great, keeping in mind that fish are like people, all have different characters. I have eliminated the overly agressive ones over time and now have a balance.
They will chase each other occasionally but no damage, just intimidation so it can be done. One thing though, use 2 canister filters, offsetting the cleaning of each, it will make a big difference.
I rubn a Marineland C360 and a Penn-Pax Cascade 1000, all bio, no chemical filtration EVER except for medicine removal. Good luck with you 90!

That sounds like a success. I'm looking forward to getting some cichlids into my 90, it's still cycling right now, but soon :)
marten

Postby marten » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:35 pm

My tank finished cycling about two weeks ago, and i bought my first batch of fish. I bought 9 juvenile Placidochromis Electra "Deep water haps", and they've been settling in for the past 5 days. They are about 1.5 inches. There's already a fair amount of aggression, chasing, and one torn fin, which was healed the next day.

I've been feeding them once per day, less than 1/8 tsp of North Fin. I notice they hoard the pellets as soon as they hit the floor, and then find a quiet spot to chew the pellets. After that the fights break out until i turn the lights off which seems to help.

I'm wondering if this is par for the course, or if i should try make some adjustments already. As mentioned earlier in this discussion, I'm planning to end up with Deep Water Haps, Yellow Labs and Purple Acei, each with 1:4 ratio.
marten

Postby DJRansome » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Add the rest of the fish to reduce the aggression.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Cyphro » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:51 pm

You only have to overstock when you have crazy aggressive fish and/or a small tank.

I had a 40 gallon tank with a few yellow labs, a few rusties, and a few auratus and it was a completely peaceful tank. The auratus can be crazy fighters in many circumstances but with just a couple they did not do much just occasional tussles with each other, while the rusties just swam around willy nilly and the yellow labs each defended some tiny section of the tank no one else cared about.
Cyphro

Postby marten » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:28 pm

An update on my tank. I found some quality Yellow Labs (about 2.5 inches) and added 8 to the mix. Aggression sorted itself out and the "female" Deep water haps (1.5 inches) look much more relaxed now. It took a few days for the pecking order to sort out, and the one hap with a torn fin is healing up (he thought he was bigger than the labs). Funny enough the Placidochromis are the most aggressive in the tank, and not so "placid".

The haps looked skinny when i got them, and after 2 and 1/2 weeks some still have concave bellies. I'm hoping that good water quality and good food will sort that out.
marten

Previous

Return to General African Cichlid Discussion