Central American Cichlids • Sick Jack Dempsy

Discussion regarding only Central American Cichlid species. (Guapotes, Jack Dempseys, Red Devils, Firemouths, Convicts, Texas Cichlids, etc.)

Moderators: CjCichlid, Iggy Newcastle

Sick Jack Dempsy

Postby evangela316 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 am

Hi everyone.
I have a Jack Dempsey who has black spots that look like skin color changed. She has had this for some time. At first I thought it was bruising, she used to be in another tank with a pleco and they fought constantly until I got another tank for her. She is currently in a 45 gal. It has been set up a few months the ago. I used same biological filtration from a previously set up tank. The levels are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate below 5, ph 7.8.
I raised the temp and added aquarium salt due to spots on the gills, thinking ick. The temp is 84-86. The closest thing I have seen to this disease was fish tuberculosis, but there isn't a deformation in the spine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
evangela316

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Sick Jack Dempsy

Postby evangela316 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

evangela316

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 am

Welcome to C-F

I edited the post so the link works.

I'm not seeing anything in the photo. What is happening with the fish? Feeding? How long has it been solo?
Iggy Newcastle

Postby evangela316 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 am

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnFC3Im1Cbgcg-JruEWrCtshXLVgOg
This picture shows the black spots more. She is not solo, she has a fire-mouth and convict as tank mates. Her and the fire mouth get along well, she seems to try to bully the convict here and there when Connie goes near her cave.
I obtained the dempsy Dora about 5 years ago, from a lady who couldn't take care of her any longer, the home conditions were not the greatest, the lady had an alcoholic son who hit the tank constantly, so Dora is a bit timid when it comes to ppl by her tank. I have gotten her to eat treats from my hand though, so she trusts me. She was close to 5 yrs old when I got her, so she is pretty old for fish.
She mostly eats Omega One cichlid pellets and for treats she gets nightcrawler (not for a few months now) and the frozen beef heart cichlid treats from lfs.
evangela316

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:03 pm

I can see some black coloration, but it appears normal, to me. Is the fish acting 'sick?'

A 45 gallon is likely, depending on tank dimensions, too small for what you're stocking. Probably too small for just the JD. Coloration depends largely on mood, disposition, tankmates, water quality(yours is great), etc.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby evangela316 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. The coloring is new, the past few months. The coloring Started in old 65 gal tank a few weeks before being .oved. Maybe the image doesn't show it well enough. The fish isn't dark all over, there are black spots, looks like they are painted on. In big spots. I thought it was bruising at first due to her and the pleco fighting constantly. She is calmer in the 45 with her tank mates. Her and the fire mouth get along excellent, as mentioned. She just picks on the small convict here and there. I know everyone says more ideal in bigger tank, I got the 45 specifically for her. Fish in the 65 did not allow her to be queen of the castle without putting up a fight. She deserves to be queen with all she has been through and her age. I do keep my levels good and frequent water changes. She eats and swims around fine, she doesnt dash or scrape herself against rocks like they do with ich. I have heard of dempsys turning black, I figured maybe she tried but majorly failed. Lol. She doesn't breathe heavily. Idk, maybe I am overreacting.
evangela316

Return to Central American Cichlids