South American Cichlids • Different colour and size morphs of nannacara anomala?

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Different colour and size morphs of nannacara anomala?

Postby nannacara abnormala » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:22 am

Hello everyone,
As the title says, I am very interested in the different colour and size variations of nannacara anomala.
Ever since I was young, this fish has been one of my favourites. At my LFS, I would find the "golden" and the "blue" coloured males alongside each other.
I once read a book, can't recall the title, in which the author states that the blue nannacara anomala is in fact the nannacara anomala "yiyi". This subspecies would only grow to about 6cm for males and 3,5cm for females. The ordinary gold nannacara would grow to 9cm for males and 5,5cm for females.
The thing that intrigues me is that, no matter where i search for information confirming this, it seems i am unable to succeed.
I have personally kept the blue "yiyi" as well as the golden variety, and I can confirm the size difference. They did come from the same batch of nannacara at my LFS.
In all the years that the nannacara has been kept in this hobby, it has probably been crossed multiple times, causing a mixture of both subspecies.

Is there anyone with more knowledge of this subject, or someone who may have some (scientific) reports about the morphological differences and natural habitat of these two seemingly different subspecies.

Any help is appreciated.
Milan
nannacara abnormala

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Different colour and size morphs of nannacara anomala?

Postby Deeda » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Milan and Welcome to C-F!!

I have not kept this species but you may want to check out This article describing this species. You will have to subscribe (pay to view) to that forum to see the full description though and the comments regarding variants depending on their found location.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:29 pm

You might find better answers at apistogramma.com, they actually cover all Dwarf Cichlids despite the name. If there are papers, that is where you might find someone who knows of them. I do know there was a lot of talk about Nannacara aureocephalus, and there seems to be the opinion that there are numerous possible undescribed species of the genus being collected. The only direct reference I can find for Yiyi suggests that it is an undescribed rather than simply a form of N. anomala.

I would disagree that the forms have been interbred, I think the Yiyi blue form is just rare in the hobby. Personally, I've never seen anything that I would call either gold or blue. I bred a greenish form many decades ago, which was quite prolific and easy. However, more recently I have gotten fish that don't seem to want to breed as readily, but they are the same greenish color, which seems to be the available color form here in the USA.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby nannacara abnormala » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:31 pm

Well here in Western Europe, the blue form is way more common than the green/gold variant. As I mentioned, i even got my blue and my green male from the same sales tank. Both clearly showing difference in body size, fin development, and, of course coulour. The blue male stopped growing at 6cm, while the green male grew to become a good 8cm. The blue male showed a more pointy and veiled dorsal fin than the green one.
I will definitely read up on those sites and articles, thanks.
nannacara abnormala

Return to South American Cichlids