General Aquaria Discussion • Backup Air Pump

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Backup Air Pump

Postby briang8r » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:59 pm

I was wondering if anyone uses a backup air pump for their tank? I darn near lost all my fish in the Irma-related power outages. Thanks to my neighbor's generator, we were able to save them in time. Anyway, I have seen some on Amazon, but they are mostly for smaller tanks. Any recommendations?
briang8r

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Backup Air Pump

Postby dalto » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:49 pm

We have about 10 of the battery powered pumps in the house. They help with oxygenation, you still need to deal with ammonia by doing water changes and/or dosing with an ammonia binder depending on how long the outage is.

I put 3 pumps in my 200, 2 in a 75 and 1 in all the tanks smaller than that. They only cost $8 each so for me it is cheap insurance.
dalto

Re: Backup Air Pump

Postby briang8r » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

dalto wrote:We have about 10 of the battery powered pumps in the house. They help with oxygenation, you still need to deal with ammonia by doing water changes and/or dosing with an ammonia binder depending on how long the outage is.

I put 3 pumps in my 200, 2 in a 75 and 1 in all the tanks smaller than that. They only cost $8 each so for me it is cheap insurance.

Thanks I'll pick some up online.
briang8r

Return to General Aquaria Discussion