General Aquaria Discussion • How to properly use dechlorinator

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Re: How to properly use dechlorinator

Postby Rob117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Morris I appreciate it. Now I have to figure out why my tank has clouded up. It was crystal clear at one point until I added Top Fin Media supplement. I work nights and haven't had much sleep today. Will investigate in a few hours. But if anyone has thoughts about what's going on in the meantime I'm anxious to find out. Thanks.
Attachments
20170801_211306.jpg
15018674746311618756515.jpg
Before
Rob117

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby caldwelldaniel26 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:35 pm

Bacterial bloom most likely. Unless you're doing an extensive filter cleaning or having a mini cycle, I don't recommend adding bacterial supplements. Reminds me of a saying we use a lot in Texas "If it ain't broke don't fix it." lol.
...Surviving doesn't always mean they're thriving...
caldwelldaniel26

Postby Deeda » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:36 pm

The cloudiness could be a result of the supplement, a bacterial bloom or even the Prime water conditioner and should clear up after a few days. Nothing to worry about since you are just starting to cycle the tank.
Fishless Cycling
Posting Pics Eff. June 20, 2017, Photobucket does not allow free pic hosting

Dee
Eheim filter user
Member since 3/7/2006
Deeda

Postby dalto » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Deeda wrote:If using Prime and adding water directly to the tank via a hose, dose for the 75G tank size and add Prime as you are adding new water unless the instructions state otherwise.

This would be my recommendation as well.

My process is:
  • Use the python to drain the tank to an appropriate amount
  • Start the new water filling into the tank
  • Dose enough prime for the whole tank per the instructions on the back
  • Stop the flow of water before the tank overflows

The last step is the one I have the most trouble with.
dalto

Postby Rob117 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks all! I don't think I need to do a water change just yet as it's only been a week running. It hasn't gotten worse, so will keep an eye on it over the weekend, will test the water and see what all the levels are and go from there. I'll report back and let you know what's going on.
Rob117

Postby DJRansome » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:52 am

If you get a filter that is strong enough to keep the debris in the water column so it can sweep into the filter, you can avoid daily siphoning and just do your additive mix once/week during water changes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby BuckeyeTez » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:00 pm

As long as you are following the directions on the bottle of prime, you can do water changes as often as needed/want. Even if you only have 20ppm after a week it would never hurt to reduce them to 10ppm or lower. There are other nutrients and elements in water that replacing can help. If you are wanting your fish to grow faster, an extra feeding and water change will help with this. I do 2x50% changes in my 125 a week and my fish are thriving.

Your nitrates can't really ever be too low. Clean water helps keep issues away and will greatly speed up any injuries that you may have from fish on fish violence or injuries due to rocks, etc.
13x Mikula Gibberosa, 125g 6' w/FX6, AC110, 2x eheim heater, inkbird temp controller, 48" Finnex planted 24/7+ LED light.
BuckeyeTez

Postby morrismorris » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:32 pm

BuckeyeTez wrote:As long as you are following the directions on the bottle of prime, you can do water changes as often as needed/want. Even if you only have 20ppm after a week it would never hurt to reduce them to 10ppm or lower. There are other nutrients and elements in water that replacing can help. If you are wanting your fish to grow faster, an extra feeding and water change will help with this. I do 2x50% changes in my 125 a week and my fish are thriving.

Your nitrates can't really ever be too low. Clean water helps keep issues away and will greatly speed up any injuries that you may have from fish on fish violence or injuries due to rocks, etc.

That's interesting about the extra water change and fish growth. The only concern of mine there is stressing the fish too much. Whenever I do my large change, the fish sometimes freeze like a statue, so I would be concerned doing that to them any more than once per week.
morrismorris

Postby Oscar6 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Prime reacts instantly. The procedure is drain, add conditioner for full tank volume, refill. Overdosing, while generally harmless, will take O2 out of the water column. The powder form of Prime is Seachem Safe, more highly concentrated. More bang for the buck so to speak. 1/16 of a tsp...yes, that little, of Safe, will take care of a 75g tank.
1500 gallons of South and Central American cichlids. Some with a "wee" bit of attitude.
Oscar6

Previous

Return to General Aquaria Discussion