South American Cichlids • A little advice.

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

A little advice.

Postby Newbie to Cichlids » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:21 pm

I started a new 55g and I want to put my one 3" Bolivian Ram in and then get 4/5 more would that be advisable? My Ram now is an adult and most LFS sell them younger. I'm new to the Cichlid world. He's my buddy and I don't want problems for him. I understand each fish could be different but generally speaking what do you think.
Newbie to Cichlids

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: A little advice.

Postby Iggy Newcastle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:39 pm

If you get unsexed fish just keep an eye out for any aggression issues. Remove any problem fish as they mature. I would quarantine the new fish, though.
Iggy Newcastle

Postby Newbie to Cichlids » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Thank you for the answer. My plan now is to get 3 more Rams and then get 3/4 Keyholes along with the 10 Brochis splendens that I already have. IYO would that be to much. Also if this was your tank and you wanted a few BR what other dwarf Cichlid would you put with it and how many. Should I go with the 4/5 BR, Brochis and a small school of Tetras? I appreciated all opinions I really want to make this tank as enjoyable as possible. I'm getting a larger tank after the Floors are done late July then I can start from the beginning. I've been doing tetra's for a while and it's time to move on to something else. TIA
Newbie to Cichlids

Postby FireHorn123 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Newbie to Cichlids wrote:Thank you for the answer. My plan now is to get 3 more Rams and then get 3/4 Keyholes along with the 10 Brochis splendens that I already have. IYO would that be to much. Also if this was your tank and you wanted a few BR what other dwarf Cichlid would you put with it and how many. Should I go with the 4/5 BR, Brochis and a small school of Tetras? I appreciated all opinions I really want to make this tank as enjoyable as possible. I'm getting a larger tank after the Floors are done late July then I can start from the beginning. I've been doing tetra's for a while and it's time to move on to something else. TIA

For a 55g I'd stick with a minimum of 4 rams or 3 rams with 1 keyhole along with mixed tropicals. Just a suggestion I feel like 6 rams in a 55 with 3 keyholes would be over stocked although I don't have much experience with dwarf cichlids 11 cichlids is a little much.
40gB- (2)Gold Severum, (2)Guppies [Unfinished]
30gL-(2)Rainbow Cichlid Pair, (5)White Skirt Tetras [Finished]
29g- (2) Kribensis Pair (4) Mixed Cory Cats [Nearly Finished]
20gL- (1)Male Dwarf Gourami [Unfinished]
10g-Unoccupied
450g Fountain Pond-[HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS]
FireHorn123

Postby mambee » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:23 pm

One of my tanks is a 90 gallon, which is almost the same dimensions as a 55, just taller and wider. I've had as many as 5 Bolivian Rams in this tank at one time. My last one recently died at about 6 years old.

IMO, Bolivian rams are pretty mellow, and 5 or 6 in a 55 would be fine as long as there are plenty of plants and driftwood to break up lines of sight. Keyholes and Rams occupy the same territory and would probably clash. Keyholes are pretty mellow too, but they grow larger than Rams. I have lots of community fish in my 90 which the Rams always ignored. I would recommend large schools of neon tetras, rummynose tetras and harlequin rasboras, which is what I have in my tank. The rummynoses are very active schoolers which stay near the bottom, as do the neons. The harlequins school near the top of the tank.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Newbie to Cichlids » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Thanks for Reply's and I think I'm going with 4 Rams and will pick up a school of Mid/Top Tetras. I've been doing a lot of research but a problem is I have some decent looking fake plants a bush on one of the 3d ledge's another bush behind a rock and it really looks cool and maybe I'll get another one. But most tetras like plants and I've tried for years but I have a black thumb. Partly not my fault because I love Cories so I love sand and root feeders just don't do well at least for me in sand. (even with root tabs) I'm not looking to use C02 so I'm looking for fish that plants aren't a requirement. I try to make my pets as comfortable as possible so even though I could put them in a tank with no live plants to me it isn't fair to the fish that prefer live plants. So I'll take any suggestions or even if you think I'm being silly and fake plants would be fine let me know. Right now I'm thinking a small school (8-10) of Buenos Aires Tetras. Just an FYI I live in the desert and for most of the year I don't use a heater and my tank won't go lower then 78.6 and it won't go past 79.1 until JulyAug then I use my tank fan. So any cool water fish I can't keep them. I know most fish will acclimate to there new home but I like to get them as close to there temp as possible.

Can't wait for the new tank thinking Peacocks and Haps or maybe a species tank.

Thanks again guys your help and suggestions mean a lot. Don't be afraid to speak your mind I take nothing personal and welcome the help. I'try to do my share as I learn more about Cichlids. Doing quite a lot of reading, books and computer.
Newbie to Cichlids

Postby mambee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:15 am

My thoughts. BA tetras are known to be nippy.

Regarding live plants, I'm a late convert and now firmly believe that live plants help maintain water quality and algae by consuming nitrates. I have LED lighting from Finnex and grow anubias, Java fern and crpyts in abundance. I throw in some liquid fertilizer weekly and some liquid carbon daily, but probably don't even need it. I grow the anubias and Java fern attached to driftwood. I have several different species of anubias, and some of them have gotten huge. I just tossed a big clump of Java fern because it had gotten too big for the tank. I'd give you some of my excess plants if you lived in NY.
150 Gallon:
Geophagus, Angelfish
90 Gallon:
Bolivian Rams, Rummynoses, Corys, Dwarf Loaches, Neons, Glass Catfish
mambee

Postby Newbie to Cichlids » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 am

Moved from Bklyn NY a long time ago. But thanks for the reply.
Newbie to Cichlids

Return to South American Cichlids