General Aquaria Discussion • cloudy new tank is it ok?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

cloudy new tank is it ok?

Postby sks021973 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:33 pm

Ok i have a 87g tank and bought it used. Filled it up, today is the third day. i decided not to wait for a fishless cycle. I went to Walmart and bought a water care kit. It says
it has the following: start Zyme, conditioner, and correct pH.(they were tablets) i put them in last night and this morning the water is cloudy. I also bought 4 cichlids should i be worried or is this normal?
Stacy
sks021973

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: cloudy new tank is it ok?

Postby DJRansome » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Cloudiness is not normal, but it may be with the product you used. Best to contact the manufacturer and ask.

It could also be from substrate that was not washed enough.

I would not have added fish until I got test results that said it was cycled. What are your test results for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and pH?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Re: cloudy new tank is it ok?

Postby CeeJay » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:36 am

What kind of substrate are you using? Just set tank up with sand my water cloudy but every time I change the water it's getting clearer. You also should look at buying a complete test kit to check your water yourself. The cost will be the least of your money if you start losing fish.
CeeJay

Return to General Aquaria Discussion