Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Extinct in Nature - Oreochromis esculentus

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Extinct in Nature - Oreochromis esculentus

Postby Marconi » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:46 pm

Video of Oreochromis esculentus I shot while at the Toronto Zoo. This tank was dedicated to some critically endangered species from the Lake Victoria Basin. The Oreochromis esculentus was in breeding dress so it was much more colourful then the rest it shared the tank with.

Marconi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Extinct in Nature - Oreochromis esculentus

Postby Narwhal72 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 am

They are extinct in Lake Victoria but are found in some satellite lakes around the area. That's an excellent video of an exceptional specimen.

I have some breeders and tons of fry. They are attractive when spawning but dull and gray otherwise. Hard to sell fry. Market is saturated here in Milwaukee.

Andy
Narwhal72

Postby BillD » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:58 am

Here is a photo from the fish lab at the zoo.
BillD

Postby BillD » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I should add that the Toronto zoo is involved in a species preservation program for these fish. I often use that photo in discussions about overcrowding/overstocking. There were two tanks like that one, both pristine. They also had a number of bigger specimens in vats.
BillD

Postby tanker3 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:35 am

Wonder if there area any plans on "re-introducing" the species back to the lake?
75gal Tank White Labs, White Top Haras, Met. Membe Deep
58gal Tank Ps. Saulosi , Lab. Perlmutt
tanker3

Postby Narwhal72 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:21 am

Not that I know of. First you would have to eliminate the Nile Perch (probably not possible), then you would have to restore the lake back to it's original clarity (not very likely).
Narwhal72

Postby BillD » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:17 am

My understanding of these species preservation programs is that reintroduction is not part of the plan.
BillD

Postby BC in SK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:06 am

Narwhal72 wrote: First you would have to eliminate the Nile Perch (probably not possible),

It's the introduction of the Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) that out competed O. esculentus in lake Victoria, and caused its extinction. So first you would have to eliminate the Nile Tilapia.
The Nile Tilapia is no danger of becoming extinct, any time soon, because of the Nile perch so I don't see why the Nile perch should be viewed as the problem for re-introducing the very similar native Oreochromis species.
BC in SK

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species