General Aquaria Discussion • Fish Tank in Living Room, Will karaoke system affect fish?

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Fish Tank in Living Room, Will karaoke system affect fish?

Postby btck91 » Mon May 11, 2015 7:42 am

Hi There,

I am currently in the process of getting a bigger tank. However the only space I really have is in the living room.

Problem some of my family members use the Karaoke system. ( mean its loud for me), but will it affect my fish?

WIll it cause stress? and make them timid?
btck91

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Fish Tank in Living Room, Will karaoke system affect fis

Postby TripleW » Mon May 11, 2015 3:47 pm

It probably depends on how loud you are talking about. I have a small 20 gallon long with some Rams and cardinal tetras on a table between a couple of speakers in my entertainment room. I thought when I first set it up that the vibration may be a problem. Even with the speakers at a mopderate volume, the fish do not seem to react to it.
TripleW

Postby speshrugby » Tue May 12, 2015 11:36 am

hi im going to jump on this thread , anyone know if incense affects open top tanks ?? my gf lit one in the living room where all my tanks are and i almost broke up right there and then lol
speshrugby

Postby fmueller » Mon May 18, 2015 4:46 am

The human nose can detect some compounds even if the concentration in the air is astoundingly weak. Of the small quantity in the air, a much smaller percentage is going to be dissolved in the tank water. Of course it all depends on what you burn and how much, but my guess is that both you and your gf would keel over long before there'd be any harmful effects on the fish. In short, I wouldn't sweat it.

Same with the music. Of course there are folks who enjoy an earth-shattering base to the point where the vibrations could actually damage a tank, but within reasonable levels, I don't think even a headbanger system would affect your fish in any way. I'd worry about permanent ear damage long before I'd worry about the fish.
fmueller
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion