South American Cichlids • Electric Blue Acara

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Re: Electric Blue Acara

Postby ACC in NC » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Narwhal72 wrote:Thanks. The speaker who gave the talk is Bill Shields. If you are a member of a local club I highly encourage getting him to speak about the Glofish history. It's really fascinating.

Andy

Saw this on YouTube about making Transgenic Fish >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfX3vXR5MfU
ACC in NC

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby dkd49424 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi- I decided to try and breed these beautiful fish. I really had never tried any of this before. I ended up starting with 20 juvies. So far I've now had 7 successful hatches and am raising approximately 900 fry. The oldest are almost an inch long. These are truly amazing fish to watch. Very interesting.
dkd49424

Postby ACC in NC » Fri May 01, 2015 6:29 pm

dkd49424 wrote:Hi- I decided to try and breed these beautiful fish. I really had never tried any of this before. I ended up starting with 20 juvies. So far I've now had 7 successful hatches and am raising approximately 900 fry. The oldest are almost an inch long. These are truly amazing fish to watch. Very interesting.

I think there the perfect cichlid! Their hardy, colorful, not to big, full of personality, live long, and are true “Wet Pets”!
ACC in NC

Postby ACC in NC » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:43 pm

ACC in NC

Postby Jackonite » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi, i have a pair of these in a 40 gallon planted tank. Is there any fish that i could put in with them?
Jackonite

Postby nicola1986 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:24 pm

ACC in NC wrote:Is there anyone else around here keeping these? I received 8 back in June and there doing great.

In got 2 male and female eba's around 6months old they're 4-5cm right now
Think they're amazing I love them :)
Don't know how to post pics there's nothing to upload attachments sorry if I'm being stupid lol
nicola1986

Postby ACC in NC » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Video of Electric Blue Acara outside in the pond.

ACC in NC

Postby ZeroSystem44 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I have one of these guys in a 15 gallon. He's about 1½ inches. I was planning on moving him to a 75 with CA cichlids eventually, however if he'd be alright in a 15 with a few dither fish, I'd like to do that instead. Is a 15g too small for a lone EBA?
ZeroSystem44

Postby robn_69 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:22 am

I just got my first one the other day! Saw them in the lfs and had to have one! I setup my old 75 gallon african tank just to house him or her. :D

robn_69

Postby mcmaxie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:21 pm

ZeroSystem44 wrote:I have one of these guys in a 15 gallon. He's about 1½ inches. I was planning on moving him to a 75 with CA cichlids eventually, however if he'd be alright in a 15 with a few dither fish, I'd like to do that instead. Is a 15g too small for a lone EBA?

These guys get up to 4-5 inches and really need at least a 30 gallon tank. I tried one in a 20 gallon and it soon became obvious he needed more space. He would do much better in the 75 with your other CA Cichlids assuming the 75 is not two crowded.
mcmaxie

Postby LarryZ » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Just bought 8 the same 1.5" - 2" size you folks are referring to. My old male green sev died and the female was acting skittish. I figured I'd try a new cichlid in my 135 and try some breeding again. I saw these for the first time a couple of weeks ago at a pet shop in Denver. When I put them in they were terrified of the old female, (about 6"), but now they all get along fine. My sevs loved frozen bloodworms as well as live nightcrawlers. Anybody got an opinion on the same for the EBA's ?
LarryZ

Postby LarryZ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 am

Well, to answer my own query, the EBC's don't really care for the bloodworms. They love frozen brine and Omega One flake. They've already added about one half to three qtrs. of an inch to their length. Beautiful specimens
LarryZ

Postby KellyAnn682 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:32 am

My EBA's love bloodworms. Yesterday I introduced them to brine shrimp. Mine eat anything. I have 2. One loves flakes which I put in there for my tetras/rasboras. And the other is a pig. He eats: NLS sinking pellets, flakes, blood worms, and brine shrimp so far. :fish:
KellyAnn682

Postby Mudkicker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:14 pm

It's too bad these are Hybrids, beautiful fish!
100g 5ft Mixed Gender: Fryeri, Chrysonotus, Tetrastigma, Ruby Red, Eupterus
75g 4ft L.Caeruleus colony
33g Quarantine
20g Hospital
Mudkicker

Postby LarryZ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Had quite a surprise this morning. I've got my ebc's in this 135 that is bare bottom, (no gravel), with one end a pile of driftwood where the outside filter is with siphon tube. The other end is a 6" x 6" x 4" double stacked foam filter with a power head on top that I made. I usually do 2 10 gallon water changes per week that I water my plants with in my greenhouse. I'll shut off the power head and gently move the foam out of the way, while I siphon the crud that congregates there. When I moved the foam one of the ebc's came out and attacked the hose. I thought it odd that they weren't afraid and swim to the other side of the tank like normal. Then I realized when was happening. I let the stuff settle in the bucket, and gently poured out clear water until I got down to the last half inch or so. Sure enough I saw about 8 little fry which I returned to the parents and saw a whole lot more in the corner. I've decided to leave them in together for now, so I took a large piece of plastic and wedged it at an angle with suction cups to hold it in place. This serves as a tank divider to keep the other 6 ebc's and a large pleco at bay.

My plan is to feed them some frozen baby brine, and what they can graze off of the foam. I'm sure there's a lot of little organisms that live on those things as well. When they get a little larger, I'll move them to a nursery tank.
LarryZ

PreviousNext

Return to South American Cichlids