General Aquaria Discussion • Dumped goldfish invading Colorado Lake

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Dumped goldfish invading Colorado Lake

Postby statman84032 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:06 am

statman84032

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Dumped goldfish invading Colorado Lake

Postby KiefKommando » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:19 am

I saw this story earlier today on a news aggregator site I frequent. It's a shame that people do things like this. Probably somebody that bought a goldfish thinking how big can they get? At least the "little" guys are thriving. Carp really are pretty good at being invasive species though lol :fish: :lol:
KiefKommando

Postby Mr Chromedome » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:26 am

They should dump a truckload of Peacock Cichlids in the lake, that would take care of it! :lol:

I read somewhere that the lake was manmade in the first place. So a manmade lake got filled with introduced fish; as long as it isn't connected to any waterways I don't see the problem.
Happiness may be the door to Heaven, but Pleasure is not the Key. - attributed to Confucius
Mr Chromedome

Postby KiefKommando » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Mr Chromedome wrote:They should dump a truckload of Peacock Cichlids in the lake, that would take care of it! :lol:

I read somewhere that the lake was manmade in the first place. So a manmade lake got filled with introduced fish; as long as it isn't connected to any waterways I don't see the problem.

Then we would need to introduce snakes for the peacocks, gorillas for the snakes, so on and so forth until winter freezes them all over. :D
KiefKommando

Postby DJRansome » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I know someone with a manmade lake...the authorities figure out what could happen in various flooding scenarios and then make a ruling. At least around here, manmade ponds tend to be created by damming up (partially usually) natural streams.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to General Aquaria Discussion