Equipment & Supplies • Fluval 406 Noise Issue

For discussion regarding filters, lights, heaters, pumps, etc.

Moderators: Deeda, Kanorin

Re: Fluval 406 Noise Issue

Postby vann59 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Design has a lot to do with how quiet a filter is, but from what I've seen the eheim filters don't move a lot of water, which would tend to be quieter just for that reason. When you move a lot of water, it creates more friction and it can also make noise when something isn't just right.
vann59

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Ensorcelled » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:32 pm

vann59 wrote:Design has a lot to do with how quiet a filter is, but from what I've seen the eheim filters don't move a lot of water, which would tend to be quieter just for that reason. When you move a lot of water, it creates more friction and it can also make noise when something isn't just right.

I don't think this is a fair assumption. Although I've never owned an Eheim classic, I do own an Ecco and while I agree the Eheims don't put out as much as say a Fluval, I disagree with it being due to more water movement. I personally have to say it's how the filter is made as you pointed out and the Fluval is just poorly designed. While I am not an engineer or anything close to it, I feel the design for the Fluval has been flawed since the 04' series and Hagen just keeps re-polishing an already sub-par product.

My whole point here is that Eheim quality is miles better than a Fluval, and the reviews on both reflect that.
72G Oceanic Lake Malawi; Eheim Pro 3 2075; AC110; Koralia 750; Jager 200W
55G Aqueon Lake Tanganyika; Eheim 2217; AC110; Jager 150W; Eheim Skim 350
Ensorcelled

Postby kmuda » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:39 am

Ditto.... I don't have much constructive to add to this thread, other than to identify that if you google "Fluval Sucks", you will find me. :lol:

I am not a fan of the 20x, 30x, 40x line of Fluval filters. I believe they should be discontinued as a failed design. The G-Series should be expanded to include a non-electronic, non-gadgety version in the $150 price range.

In all fairness to Fluval, unlike the 40x line, the FX5 is a fine filter, but I would rather have 3 filters accounting for 900GPH instead of one. GPH is over rated for everything other than mechanical filtration. Anything over about 260gph is actually detrimental to biofiltration.

My Fluval 404 filter only lasted three years. The 405 was the same exact filter except they changed the color and added $100 onto the cost. I was hopeful they solved the problems with the 406 but that does not appear to be the case.

Eheim Classics are commonly reported to have been running for 20 years. If you want to compare quality.... there you go.
100g- Oscar, Male Convict, 3 SDs - 20 gallon sump
55g - 20 Year Old Kissing Gourami + friends
55g - Pleco - 55g - Angelfish
29g Livebearer Community
4 Cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 wife, 1 old lady, and one of sub-adults broke back in.
kmuda

Postby kmuda » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but something was brought to my attention that I felt belonged in this discussion. Apparently, on page EN03 of the 06 series manual it states that the "magnetic impeller", "impeller well","ceramic shaft", and "gaskets" are to be replaced yearly. They sell a kit that contains these items for about $30.

This could explain some of the issues being faced with the 406 filters. I would assume the manufacturer has a reason for the recommendation, although I would consider it a bit boneheaded to release a filter that requires this type of yearly maintenance. I have filters that have been running 20 years without an impeller replacement. :roll:

But "Boneheaded" and "Fluval Management" have the same definition, in my opinion. =D>
100g- Oscar, Male Convict, 3 SDs - 20 gallon sump
55g - 20 Year Old Kissing Gourami + friends
55g - Pleco - 55g - Angelfish
29g Livebearer Community
4 Cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 wife, 1 old lady, and one of sub-adults broke back in.
kmuda

Postby Ensorcelled » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:08 am

kmuda wrote:Sorry to dig up an old thread, but something was brought to my attention that I felt belonged in this discussion. Apparently, on page EN03 of the 06 series manual it states that the "magnetic impeller", "impeller well","ceramic shaft", and "gaskets" are to be replaced yearly. They sell a kit that contains these items for about $30.

This could explain some of the issues being faced with the 406 filters. I would assume the manufacturer has a reason for the recommendation, although I would consider it a bit boneheaded to release a filter that requires this type of yearly maintenance. I have filters that have been running 20 years without an impeller replacement. :roll:

But "Boneheaded" and "Fluval Management" have the same definition, in my opinion. =D>

Yeah, I've seen this in the manual as well and I pretty much thought the same. It just kinda makes me think that fluval is admitting that they use cheap parts when it says to replace it all yearly. Oh well, I can rant all day about how dumb these canisters are but it still won't change some people from getting away from them.
72G Oceanic Lake Malawi; Eheim Pro 3 2075; AC110; Koralia 750; Jager 200W
55G Aqueon Lake Tanganyika; Eheim 2217; AC110; Jager 150W; Eheim Skim 350
Ensorcelled

Postby kwang » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Is Teflon tape safe to use in the canister/tank?
100 gallon malawi tank
26 gallon community fish tank
10 gallon shrimp & plants tank
kwang

Postby relsanchez » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:59 am

Hello, I just joined and I like the atmosphere already. Now I have a Fluval 406 that starting making a grinding noise right after a water change, I cleaned filters, and pulled out impeller unit n rinsed, put it back together. As soon as I started it up again the grinding started and was persistent, I couldn't make it go away. looking on this forum I have all the telltale signs everyone else has had. NOW PLEASE READ THIS. I started thinking if I had changed anything in my setup, I have a few things (air bubbler/ led light strip, heater, pump, and my computer) all plugged into a power bar. Then I started thinking about the impeller and the magnet unit and how much power it took to turn it properly. UREKA!!!!! I realized I had plugged into my power bar recently a big t.v. thus splitting up the power in the bar further making less go to the pump, weird as it may sound. I plugged my pump into its own outlet and BAM, Problem stopped and hasn't started again. If all else has failed at least try this. let me know if this worked for you guys, I really hope it does!
relsanchez

Postby dredgesclone » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Maybe some sand in there somewhere?
dredgesclone

Postby amulletman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:01 pm

I just replaced my Fluval 404 with a 406 after the motor died. I think I had it 10 years. The 404 sometimes rattled but I was always able reassemble it and get it to stop. It always rattled when I turned on the microwave which is on the same electrical circuit. I installed the 406 without a problem. About 4 hours later the impeller starts ratteling. I reassemble and can not get rid of the rattle. I found this post and tried the teflon tape. So far so good and no rattle when I'm using the microwave. Thanks.
110G 72x16x24
1 Metriaclima estherae (Red) F,1 Yellow Lab F, 1 Auratus F, 1 "Acei" M, 1 Greshakei (Albino) Male,1 Bumbl B M, 1 Dems/Johanni M, 1 Hap Moorii M, 1 Hap Ovatus M, 1 horei M, 1 Red Jewel M,
1 Williamsi Blue Lips M, 1 Flavus M,
amulletman

Previous

Return to Equipment & Supplies