Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • Our S. causarius enjoying a bud vase

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Our S. causarius enjoying a bud vase

Postby Catfish Dan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:01 am

We picked up this cool bud vase at the ACA convention and thought our S. causaurius might take advantage of the "cave". After a few days with no interest, we found Big Boy enjoying the hangout this morning :)

Catfish Dan

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Our S. causarius enjoying a bud vase

Postby Drbob31 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:18 pm

It looks like he's playing peek a boo.
Drbob31

Postby NeptunesNeighborhood » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:48 am

awesome
NeptunesNeighborhood

Postby Catfish Dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Well, I guess Big Boy found the accomodations to be perfect. Not long after we saw him in there, we noticed another of our S. causarius females in there *with* him. We had been worried he wouldn't find his "everlasting love" as we purchased him as a full grown adult. These guys mate for life, and usually choose their mate at a young age. I guess we were super fortunate- of the 6 adults we purchased we now have 2 breeding pairs. Soon thereafter, Mrs. Big Boy was habitating solo in the cave, with Big Boy always perched just outside the entrance. A few days ago we peeped in with a flashlite and, sure enough, huge orange eggs adorned one of the walls. Just now I snuck another peek and the little wigglers are swimming around clumsily with their bulky yolk sacs. These fish make amazing parents with bi-parental brood care. They herd their babes, keeping them safe from danger, and the babies know and respond to their parents body signals. And- mating for life. How cool is that? I highly recommend them to anyone in search of a homely yet endearing, peaceful and entertaining cichlid. :thumb:
Catfish Dan

Postby Storiwyr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Catfish Dan wrote:Well, I guess Big Boy found the accomodations to be perfect. Not long after we saw him in there, we noticed another of our S. causarius females in there *with* him. We had been worried he wouldn't find his "everlasting love" as we purchased him as a full grown adult. These guys mate for life, and usually choose their mate at a young age. I guess we were super fortunate- of the 6 adults we purchased we now have 2 breeding pairs. Soon thereafter, Mrs. Big Boy was habitating solo in the cave, with Big Boy always perched just outside the entrance. A few days ago we peeped in with a flashlite and, sure enough, huge orange eggs adorned one of the walls. Just now I snuck another peek and the little wigglers are swimming around clumsily with their bulky yolk sacs. These fish make amazing parents with bi-parental brood care. They herd their babes, keeping them safe from danger, and the babies know and respond to their parents body signals. And- mating for life. How cool is that? I highly recommend them to anyone in search of a homely yet endearing, peaceful and entertaining cichlid. :thumb:

Oh that's so awesome! I guess he just needed the right house to impress his special lady! :D
90G Malawi: Demasoni, alb. Socolofi, Aceis, lone C. moorii

75G Tanganyika: BCWP Calvus, Muzi Goldhead Comps, Kerenge Cyps, Multies

20G: Mollies, Rainbows, Crystal Shrimp

40G Reef: Linear Blennies, Watchman Goby, Cleaner Shrimp, Sexy Shrimp
Storiwyr

Postby Catfish Dan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:50 pm

Oh that's so awesome! I guess he just needed the right house to impress his special lady!

Yeah, I'm super happy for them both. :) Now comes the daunting task of pulling the tank apart (mostly) to catch the other 4 adults, making sure Pair #1 doesn't get separated, and finding homes for them and the 30+ babies Pair #1 raised. Mr. and Mrs. Big Boy are definitely the pair we want to hold on to- his hump is MASSIVE and he has totally grown on me!
Catfish Dan

Postby prov356 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:08 am

I saw those at ACA, but didn't pick any up. Regretting it now. I can see the advantage of them. Real easy to be sure wrigglers don't get knocked out of the spawning cave.
prov356

Postby Catfish Dan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am

I saw those at ACA, but didn't pick any up. Regretting it now.

I bet if you could find out the vendors name you could get one. He had oodles of them. He was also the Repashy rep, if that helps.
Catfish Dan

Postby prov356 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:07 am

Catfish Dan wrote:
I saw those at ACA, but didn't pick any up. Regretting it now.

I bet if you could find out the vendors name you could get one. He had oodles of them. He was also the Repashy rep, if that helps.

OCA Extravaganza is coming up. I'll see what I can pick up there. I've learned now to pick up whatever is different or interesting. Weird stuff can work. I know Pam Chin breeds her fish in ceramic castles.
prov356

Postby Catfish Dan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:59 pm

These guys continue to astonish me. Momma kept watch over her babies for around a week, never letting them out of the vase. Of course she stayed in there with them, usually just her nose peeking out of the small opening, and big ole lumphead daddy ever vigilant at the entrance. Then, one day, all of the little babes were out. Initially their forrays into the tank were if limited duration, but now, every morning when we check on them, babies! babies! everywhere. What really amazes me is that each night, when the sun goes down, the parents manage to herd all of the babies back into the vase, where they sleep safely with momma, poppa keeping watch at the door. I just love these guys.
Catfish Dan

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species