Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • ID Help Obliquiden or Thickskin?

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

ID Help Obliquiden or Thickskin?

Postby FinalJenemba » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Same old story, got this guy at the store when I was stocking my Mbuna tank and took the fish guy to his word that this was a type of Mbuna. Should have known better. I have researched him enough to know its a Victorian and either a Thick Skin or a Obliquiden of some kind. Temperament wise he's quite aggressive and is more than holding his own with the Mbuna. Any ideas?

FinalJenemba

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby brinkles » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:35 pm

He's latifasciata.
brinkles

Postby brinkles » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:37 pm

"zebra obliquidens" is the trade name, and the genus is either haplochromis or astatotilapia. He's got good color for his size, what else is in the tank with him?
brinkles

Postby samaki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 am

Hi It's Haplochromis latifasciatus aka Astatotilapia latifasciata, the commercial name is H.zebra obliquidens, the real H.obliquidens is H.sp"red back scraper" as L.Seegers shown it in 2008
xris :)
musy o tunya the water sounds like thunder

vics pix
http://photobucket.com/albums/d163/Issa-samaki/
samaki

Postby FinalJenemba » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks! After googling that looks like him alright. Everything else in with him is an Mbuna. Theres a couple Labs, a few Zebras of different coloration, a Rusty, a Maingano and a Pseudotropheus Chailosi. I was worried at first when I found out he was a Vic but he turned out to be a real snot. He went after everyone, even my Yellow Lab twice his size. He seems to have calmed down allot but he got his point across, no one messes with him lol.
FinalJenemba

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species