Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Pundamilia nyererei Igombe versus Makobe?

9K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  DJRansome 
#1 ·
Since I can't find the Python Island, I'm considering one of these.

The descriptions in the Profiles are identical. On CF, I like the Igombe profile pics better. On Dave's website, I like the Makobe pics better.

Advantages or disadvantage to each? Or depending on the mood, these and the Python Island can look pretty much the same?

#2 ·
there are subtil diffrences in color between the igombi, makobe, mwanza, and ruti strains. the python is a bit diffrent.

there should be no change in behaviour between the differing locations of collection. maybe this will help.

all pictures are of my fish unless otherwise noted.

the ruti

the ingombi

the python island
juvinal male

the makobe

the mwanza
fish and picture by kevin b.

fortunatly there are also several other species of pundamilia available as well.

the blue bar

the pundamilia sp red flank

the macrocephala

pundamilia sp red head
not my fish or picture, pic by j. selong

i have now and have in he past kept both strains available at daves and they are excellent!

here is a 5 day old link to some available python island
http://www.midwestcichlid.com/showthrea ... e&p=169667

and i recieved some python from here about 2 months ago and am very pleased. he still has them on his list as being available.
http://www.africancichlidcentral.com/victorian.html

i hope this helped

#9 ·
I added the group to my mbuna tank over the weekend and they retained their color. I have between 2-4 males. At one point I had a holding female but the eggs are gone.

We will see how they do as tankmates over the coming year or two.

#11 ·
Everyone is getting along at this point and males are retaining, even gaining color. I have at least three, maybe four males in the tank. I am surprised they don't seem to fight. Is that usual with Pundamilia or just the lull before the storm? :lol:

#13 ·
I had two males in the tank until Sunday...not on purpose. Two males and two females, but I was lucky.

I removed the rocks and caught one male and the two females, putting them in another tank and hoping for a spawn to get some more females.

Monday one female is holding. :dancing:

#19 ·
I had some new yellow lab fry in a breeder net in the nyererei fry tank. Forgot about the breeder net with a little hole in the mesh.

Well the newly spit yellow labs are now mingled with the month old nyererei fry. I'm surprised they are not gone. We will see how they do. :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.