Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species • please!!!!! sex my red forest jewels

Discussion regarding only Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species.

Moderators: samaki, StructureGuy

Postby kfenk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:05 pm

its hard to tell because of the color of the water but the other big one isnt grey its more of a deep maroon color. its hard to get them on camera behaving towards eachother because they are more interested in me standing there waiting lol. can anyone give specific behaviour a pair would have from when they first pair up til eggs are laid? i was also told they probably wont lay because the other fish is in there. is this a big problem?
kfenk

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby oldwheat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:13 pm

If they are going to spawn, they will just send the extra fish packing. ( See kfenk's video ) You can also a lot about sex differences in the video. The male is the larger/slimmer fish doing most of the chasing & the female is the brighter red, chubbier fish. Actually, the fact that they haven't spawned by now & that the differences in appearance are minute makes me concur that in all likelyhood , you do have 2 males.
oldwheat

Postby kfenk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 am

finally got the smaller one out. got while feeding lol not to quick for me after all. it seems much happier now living in my community tank. even colored up a little. now lets see what happens with the other two. knowing my luck so far nothings goin to happen :(
kfenk

YEAHHH!!!!!!!!

Postby kfenk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:13 am

looks like it worked taking the small one out. my two happy red jewels are now proud parents of a s**t load of eggs. only just found this out after getting hm from work. would have loved witnessing all my hard work pay off first hand, oh well. its great watching them take turns in fanning the eggs while the other wonders around. when i got hm i found the darker one hiding behind the filter, now its fanning the eggs lol. i try get a vid on, just wanted 2 tell evry1 first[/img]
kfenk

Postby kfenk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:22 am

here you go, vid of proud parent fanning eggs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlK8l8ujnrE
kfenk

Postby oldwheat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Congrats!! Just when you had me almost certain that it wasn't a pair. BTW: That's mom in the video.
oldwheat

Postby steve_58 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm

Congrats and don't get excited right away if the eggs disappear and you can't see them or the newly hatched fry. The parents will hide them as soon as the eggs start to make any movement or signs of hatching.They usually hide them in the gravel and gaurd that spot very well.In a few days u should have fry swimming. Don't forget to cover filter inlets and turn off any ugf if u have one.It is very wise not have any other fish in the tank now that they are parents.
steve_58

Postby steve_58 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I wanted to say also i just looked at ur first vid and i'd say it looks to me like u got 2 males and 1 female. I may be wrong tho.
steve_58

Re: please!!!!! sex my red forest jewels

Postby fishy18 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 am

One way that never fail for me is the tail. Look at the tail the male will have dots from top to bottom, as the female has dots only on the top half on her tail.
This one way, and this is how I know. Watching them laid eggs always work for me.
fishy18

Previous

Return to Lake Victoria Basin, West African, Madagascar & Asian Species