Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Found my oscar dead this morning....

11K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
:( :( :(

I just don't get it. Yesterday he seemed to be breathing a bit harder than normal. I did a 50% water change (knee jerk reaction). He looked like he was breathing easier after that. I made sure there was plenty of surface agitation too. The pleco and the snails in the tank are fine, were fine, still are fine. But this morning I found my Irwin dead. :( :( :(

Even hubby was upset :(

I just don't get it. Nothing new was added to his tank. None of my other tanks have sick fish so no chance of cross contamination. He ate well, color was good, activity normal just that little bit of breathing hard. Nobody's done anything in the house that could somehow contaminate the water (I've been down - had surgery last week so no activity to speak of).

RIP Irwin!

#2 ·
Hubby thinks that Irwin may have eaten a large snail or even a piece of gravel. I know that there have been times when Irwy would eat something on the bottom and grab up some gravel too but he always spit the gravel out.
Would eating gravel or a snail do this??

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for the sympathy! He was a really cool fish and I know we will miss him, even the dog has gone by the tank looking for him! (Irwin always ran the glass with the dog....)

I cannot think of one thing that has been done to the tank or around the tank, I guess the gravel theory is going to be the one we go with. I suppose I should have looked in his mouth when I got him out of the tank but I wasn't thinking of that and hubby was nice enough to bury him under my rose bush so it's too late now.....

#12 ·
Yea I lost a Male GT to swallowing gravel and stopped eating. When he died, I was basically playing with him and looked in his mouth, just for fun, and behold I see a black something. I shake him and out comes a piece of gravel. Looked again and seen something else black and again shook another piece out. I ended up getting bout 4 or 5 pieces out.

It really sucks because he was a breeder with my female and he wasn't cheap. Sorry for you lose but I guess it happens when you have animals.

#14 ·
Thanks everyone! He was only a year old or so (can't remember exactly)....so old age wasn't it. Hubby told me that the night before Irwin died he was in the bedroom (where the tank is) and saw Irwin coughing but he didn't connect it with anything until now.
My hubby also wants to know if I'm going to get another oscar...."looks strange in there without that big old fish staring at me"....if I do you can bet I'm pulling out that gravel first!!! :x

#17 ·
So sorry Heylady! :(

#18 ·
Thanks everyone!

I've actually been thinking about getting a flowerhorn instead. I kind of waffle between the two - oscar/FH, oscar/FH - I think about the big goofy oscar and then I think about the FH and their markings and I just don't know! I think what it will come down to is which fish I come across first and the awww factor... :wink:

#21 ·
Not going to have gravel or sand. Gonna go bare bottomed instead!

And why not get both an oscar and a flowerhorn? I just don't have the room for both!! But believe me I'd love to have both!! :D

G
#23 ·
might sound stupid but could the pleco have done somthing to it??
my oscar and rhino pleco [both purty large] always go at it when they can, they purty much hate eachother.
on my next water change im gonna give the pleco a little cave spot or just take it out

#24 ·
No, I don't think the pleco had anything to do with it at all. Irwin the oscar was not vicious towards the pleco but he sure didn't tolerate anything from him. Good point though as it can be a problem sometimes!!

I have decided to go ahead and get another oscar. I just miss his big goofy face and the way he would gulp up his food and how he and the dog would race from one end of the tank to the other, I miss his nice coloring (yes I will try and get another red O if I can!), his supreme largeness, and the way he would get all mouthy if I crouched down in front of the tank!! I am feeling well enough to take that gravel out tomorrow then I'll do another big water change. After that I will start looking for a new O!! :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.