General Aquaria Discussion • Blue Crayfish in Cichlid tank??

For general fish and aquarium topics. Including catfish, aquatic plants, ponds, photography, etc.

Moderators: DJRansome, fmueller

Blue Crayfish in Cichlid tank??

Postby kipper » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:21 pm

Hello.. I was wondering if you can add a blue crayfish with africans... or will they kill it? I have heard 2 sides.. One was they will kill the crayfish everytime because its like food to them or... will the crayfish kill the fish? :-?
kipper

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Nathan43 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 pm

I have one with a couple severums, HRP's, 2 yo yo's, a jewel, and a firemouth and no one seems to bother it. It is only about 3 inches now which is the average size of the fish. But this combination has only been going a couple months now. I will get back to you as time progresses.
I like snowcones & cartwheels...AND BLOOD!
Nathan43

crayfish

Postby css virginia » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:23 pm

Isn't the Blue Crayfish the more costly one..??..at least from what I have seen in the LFS they were..!! I wouldn't place a costly one in a cichlid tank--They crayfish that I have purchased were $1.49--1.69 for each one and I have bought a number of them-some escaped-others were..well...you know... :( ..Only one has--survived-- :o--and is now appx. 6 inches in length and in my 125g. tank. (was appx. 1.5" when bought)
*** Army of Northern Virginia 1863 ***

--- Believe and Receive ---
css virginia

Postby TheFishGuy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:10 pm

The crayfish will kill and eat what it can if it's large, but when it molts it's irresistable to cichlids and they will enjoy eating him.

So in short, no :)
TheFishGuy

Postby Nathan43 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:23 pm

If there is enough caves for him to do that, would it be okay?
Nathan43

Postby TheFishGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 pm

Here's the thing about cichlids. They're adaptive,persistent, smart, and stubborn. Would want to try and hide from something with those characteristics? It's just not a good idea. Give the crayfish his own small tank with lots of hiding spots and you'll be much happier for it. :)
TheFishGuy

Postby Toby_H » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:21 pm

Fish don't have a whole lot of entertainment in an aquarium... and there isn't much that is more entertaining to a Cichlid than hunting a possible meal...

Like TFG said... they are adaptive, persistent, smart, and stubborn... And I would like to add bored...

I wouldn't trust a crayfish around my smaller/younger fish... and I wouldn't trust the rest of my fish around an expensive crayfish...
The happier you make your fish the happier they will make you

Minimum requirements means minimum happiness for all
Toby_H

Postby Nathan43 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:37 am

Makes sense, If I put him in my ten gallon convict fry tank, would that be sufficient? That way if he eats them, no biggie.
Nathan43

Postby kipper » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:59 pm

So..the general thought on this is...give him his own tank? I was hoping they could live happly together lol I just wanted to have a little something different of that type in the tank also. The cichlids are great! very pretty just kinda boring lol. :?
kipper

Postby tonyh67 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Is this what you're talking about: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... catid=1641. I've been thinking about putting one of these in with my Africans.
tonyh67

Postby kipper » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Your link didn't work.. If your talking about a blue lobster or blue crayfish either one.. The africans will kill it most likley. I tried he last for one day......!
kipper

Postby ashilli48 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Usually the sites trying to sell you a blue cray or lobster will say it is docile and won't attack.

My basic experience: the lobster will hunt the fish while they sleep. The fish will hunt the lobster while he sleeps and or molts.

There is also the boredom and the mob mentality. My Afircans have always slaughtered anything that gets picked on and runs. They are like Dobermans, chase (and maul if you have a BAD dog :) ) anything that runs.
ashilli48

Postby goldtopper » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:48 am

Put him in with a puffer and watch the gladiators battle!
goldtopper

Postby ashilli48 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Back before I knew what I was doing (still a topic of debate :) ) I kept a crayfish in with a mixed Malawi tank. One day I was at my favorite LFS and just had to have a figure eight and a spotted puffer. Well in they went with the Mbunas, etc. (clueless) Not 8 hours went by before one of the puffers got a little too close to the crayfish doing his best Danielson Karate Kid pose, and wham, suddenly the puffer is flying around the tank with the crayfish completely wrapped around him. Well this sent the Malawis into a frenzy. Well it was mayhem for about a minute or so until I sent the wrestlers back to their corners.

Then I found cichlid-forum and learned better how to act as a fishkeeper! LOL!
ashilli48

Postby MetalHead06351 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:11 pm

The cichlids are great! very pretty just kinda boring lol.

Depending on the size of your tank, you could try something from the polypterus family. Very entertaining and unique, but the smaller ones still get a foot long.
125g-
1m Parachromis Fredreichstalli-9"
1f Parachromis Fredreichstalli 'La Ceiba'-6"
1f Parachromis Loiselli-7"
1f Parachromis Motaguensis-4 1/2"
1 Polypterus Senegalus-9"
20 long-
1pr Australoheros Oblongum-m3", f2"
MetalHead06351

Next

Return to General Aquaria Discussion