Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Don't buy these if you see them!

13K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
#7 ·
Well hopefully it's okay to copy this in here from the other forum...I really don't know the rules. If it's not cool just delete it.

these so called camel cats have been around for a few weeks already at alot of lfs and there is a previous thread on them.dunno why anybody would buy these anyways as its ridiculously deformed but apparently there is a market here for these as quite a few have been sold in lfs.some of these breeders n farms will do anything to earn more money even if it means purposely creating deformities,hybrids etc selling them to make more $.they should just stick to breeding normal natural fish and stop purposely selling and distributing things like deformed and hybrid fishes
Absolutely ridiculous!

#12 ·
I wonder what catfish came together to make that pile... the head almost looks like a tsn. Its a tsn/bp hybrid :lol:

#15 ·
Gross...why would anyone buy those?
Because people like to buy things that are different, and those are different. It's certainly not right to sell deformed fish IMO , but there is an unfortunate maket for this type of thing. I wish there was an effective way to halt these sorts of practices , but as long as folks are buying them they'll breeding them :( .

#18 ·
Joels fish said:
Because people like to buy things that are different, and those are different. It's certainly not right to sell deformed fish IMO , but there is an unfortunate maket for this type of thing. I wish there was an effective way to halt these sorts of practices , but as long as folks are buying them they'll breeding them :( .
This is how we stop them. Don't buy them, don't promote them, warn new hobbyists, spread the word by starting threads like this one.

#19 ·
Joels fish wrote:
Quote:
Because people like to buy things that are different, and those are different. It's certainly not right to sell deformed fish IMO , but there is an unfortunate maket for this type of thing. I wish there was an effective way to halt these sorts of practices , but as long as folks are buying them they'll breeding them .

This is how we stop them. Don't buy them, don't promote them, warn new hobbyists, spread the word by starting threads like this one.
True , you know with the worldwide membership we have here on this forum maybe we can make some impact on it .

#21 ·
Funny, I'm not as upset as I thought I would be ... mostly becuase we went through this before when the fake parrot "cichlid" (aka blood parrots) came out. We couldn't stop those or balloon mollies/dwarf gouramis or angel rams ... guess the youthfull rightousness has gone ...

honestly, my first thought was ... "oh great ... now blood parrot keepers have a catfish to match."

Which is sad. Cuase it's deffinately wrong ... and I deffinately won't own them nor the above mentioned fish ... but ... fish ... spirit ... crushed ... by ... chain stores ... selling ... deformed ... fish ... and ... making ... them ... popular.

Gawds I sound old.

#22 ·
We could start by calling or emailing all our lfs and explain to them of this catfish if they have not already heard of it and explain to them our worries about it finally requesting their cooperation in stopping this hybridization and refusing to stock any of these fish. Just a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.