Cichlid Fish Forum banner

Final Revisions

6K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  CichlidAndrew 
#1 ·
So I am getting ready to order some fish for my 80 gallon within a week and I was just wondering what you all though of my list. i am looking for any suggestions on modifying it or more fish or whatever. Thank you all

8-10 Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinita
2 gobies
1 Lamprologous Tretocephalus
1 Calvus
6 Lamprologous Stappersi
1 Juli (Not sure what kind yet)

It seems like the tank will be kind of empty. Suggestions are needed. Thanks again

#3 ·
Why get singleton julies and calvus? Get groups of each to allow them to pair off. In the mean time, your tank will be fuller, and you'll be able to trade some off for fish food, etc when they mature. If you are mail-ordering fish, you might as well only pay shipping once.

#4 ·
Nice selection of fish, what type of calvus and at what size? Anything over 1" is going to be exspensive. Usually you can find small ones for around $10 and if you do that I would buy more than one. My favorite Julie is Marlieri and I would get a pair(better to have 4, so they can make there own pairs)

#6 ·
Brichardi- no. They're very aggressive when breeding.

Julies and Calvus are generally peaceful to tankmates. I love J. marlieri, but they can be rough on shellies, so I recommend a smaller type like transcriptus.

So, you'll have cyps for open water, 2 rockdwelling species, roving gobies, and then shellies for the bottom: that'll be a great and active tank that shouldn't have too much aggression.

Are the 2 gobies paired? If not, get 5-6 and let them pair and remove the extras. Any two random gobies are not likely to get along. Same with julies and calvus.

#12 ·
I think you were better off without adding caudos or sumbus. I'm not sure what the conflict between the yellow calvus and the sumbus... I suspect you'd have trouble keeping more than one male.

Your tank is already full. The gobies do need bottom space to roam, and the cyps need a bottom space to sleep. My advice is to pick only one of the shellies, get at least 5 gobies and julies, and avoid singleton fish. If you are trying for the best chance of a successful tank, try

10 cyps
5 gobies
5 julies
5 calvus
5 shellies

#18 ·
CichlidAndrew said:
One more question, would it be okay to order 4 gobies and julies? Or is it a ton safer to order 5?
In terms of not having all males (or all females), 4 of a fish is a 12.5% (one in eight) chance of all male or all female, while 5 of a fish is a 6% chance.

The odds of getting two pair out of 4 fish is about 1 in 8, whereas the odds of getting two pair out of 5 fish is greater than 50% (i believe).

That's assuming of course that you buy unsexed juvies, and neglects fish personality (i.e. if you have 2 males and 3 females, I was counting that as 2 pair, even though one of the males may not like any of the females or vice versa. If you only have 1 male though, you can't possibly have more than one pair, and if you have all females, no pairs for you!).

As Bob the Tomato would say, "you rolls your dice, you moves your mice..."

-Rick (The armchair aquarist)

#20 ·
Hold on one second. Woulnd't the probability of getting 4 fish of the same sex be 1/16? Because say if you were to get one fish the chance of it being a male is 1/2, then get another and the chance of it a male 1/2 so one. There for you would have (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2) which equals 1/16. Correct me if I am wrong, I am doing fairly well in 9th grade geometry :lol:

#21 ·
CichlidAndrew said:
Hold on one second. Woulnd't the probability of getting 4 fish of the same sex be 1/16? Because say if you were to get one fish the chance of it being a male is 1/2, then get another and the chance of it a male 1/2 so one. There for you would have (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2) which equals 1/16. Correct me if I am wrong, I am doing fairly well in 9th grade geometry :lol:
The chance of them all being male would be 1/16. but the chance of all female is also 1/16. so the chance of all the same is actually 1/8 ;)

-Rick (the armchair aquarist)

#26 ·
CichlidAndrew said:
One more question, will there be agression problems with that many fish untill they all pair up?
If you keep cichlids, there will always be aggression problems. Just keep an eye on things in the beginning because your fish may require some human intervention to survive. Are you planning on stocking the entire tank at one time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.