South American Cichlids • Small but deadly

Discussion regarding only South American Cichlid species. (Oscars, Geophagines, Discus, Apistogramma, Green Terrors, Angels, Severums, Pikes, etc.)

Moderators: notho2000, Iggy Newcastle

Small but deadly

Postby DeadFishFloating » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:04 pm

Last week I bought 5 small Dicrosus filamentosus.
Photos: https://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... p?t=169157

They were about 1cm or 2/5th's of an inch TL. One was definately a male, nice lyre tail developing, while it was not possible for to tell the sex of the others.

Well everything was good for the first 3 days. Everyone settling in, and exploring thier new tank. Then the male starting getting mean. At first I just thought it was typical cichlid behaviour, with the checkerboards sorting out a pecking order.

The next day when I came home from work, I could only count 4 checkerboards, search though I may. There are a couple of decent hiding spots, even though it's only a small tank, and I decided to waite for the next morning to do a thorough search. Well I could only still count 4 checkerboards, but couldn't find a body. :-?

That night when I got home from work, I could only count 3 checkerboards. :(
So I pulled all the driftwood from the tank, did a 40% water change and found the 2 bodies in the process. That was Friday.

I don't have a hospital or quarentine tank, so I didn't have anywhere to remove fish to. This will be remedied by the end of May, but that's another story. I don't transfer fish between my two tanks, so this wasn't an option either.

I manage a pub, so I work weekends. Saturday I got home from work and still had 3 checkerboards. The male, who has definately coloured up some and whose tail is really developing, and the two smallest checkerboards who I had hopped were females. So I figure the male has killed his rivals, and has two females to himself.

I wish. Sunday get home from work and there is another dead fish, and the male is harrasing the last one when ever it comes out of hiding. Well this morning I only have the male left. :x

Man I never thought such small, cute cichlids coud be so freakin mean.
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby edburress » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:05 am

Whew Peter that little guy must be mean. That is really surprising! I have never kept them before but assumed they wouldn't behave like that.
edburress

Postby DeadFishFloating » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:30 am

Hey Ed. I assumed they wouldn't behave like that as well. :oops:

Now he just swims arouround the tank exploring all the time looking for food. They are more grazers than gobblers.
Dwarf Cichlids. Big personalities in small packages.
DeadFishFloating

Postby CHK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:23 am

Sorry for your loss.... I had fish die on me like that before, droppin like flies over two days. It sucked. Surprising though, supposed to not be very aggressive fish too...
Bunch of small tanks at the moment, includes some africans and SA
CHK

Postby dwarfpike » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:20 pm

Man I never thought such small, cute cichlids coud be so freakin mean.

Key word being cichlids ... none of us really should be surprised ... dwarf cichlids are still cichlids after all ...

that being said, am at least a little surprised myself. :?
dwarfpike

Return to South American Cichlids