Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates) • How's my aquascaping? (56k warning)

For discussion of aquarium aquascaping.

Moderators: notho2000, CjCichlid

Postby fmueller » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:56 pm

I haven't read the whole thread, but I really like the look of the setup. However, I have to say those Anubias looked doomed to me! I have planted plenty of Anubias the way you did, and they were all dead within a few months. I had pretty much given up on Anubias until somebody told me that they like to be planted like Java fern; that is with the roots not covered by substrate at all! Since I follow that advice, my Anubias are doing great! I would create a pile of rocks somewhere and wedge the roots of the Anubias and the Java fern between the rocks. They'll do a lot better that way!

Anubias on a rock cave in my 125G tropheus tank

Regarding Java moss, when you buy it, it's of course a ball, but over time - this takes years, it can overgrow the rocks and form a mossy layer, which can look very attractive. In my opinion it's well worth the wait.

At some stage I removed all the Java moss balls from this tank, and it has now grown back naturally to cover parts of the rocks. It now collects a lot less debris than the initial balls used to.

I never use plant food for my setup. Fish poop is the only nutrient my plants get, and they do just fine that way. Especially if you want to use them to remove nutrients from the tank, adding nutrients in form of fertilizer doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

I have never added any fertilizers to this tank, and the substrate is plain 3M Color Quartz. No CO2 either, and the lighting are cheap T8 fluorescents from the hardware store.

Frank
fmueller
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Stina » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:31 pm

:o Your setup look simple, yet striking. :drooling: Keep up the good work. :thumb:
I miss my Oscar.
110 gallon/setting back up
50/55g Community Tank
20g Hospital tank
Stina

Postby TheFishGuy » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:35 pm

That 240 is awesome!
TheFishGuy

Postby alicem » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:09 am

Aw, Frank, you drive me crazy with the pics of your beautiful tanks. :popcorn:

Marduk,
You might want to research your apontigen for more info on it's growth habits.
Most of apontigen go through a dormant period.
So, if it looses it's leaves, that may be what is happening.
It eventually will re-emerge.
Check it out for more specifics.
I'm not sure of which type you have...
Pics, please, when you can. :thumb:
Alicem
Alicem
my tanks are low tech planted:
75G:Pelvicachromis Pulcher,Rainbowfish,ABN
46G bowfront:Marble Angel,Sunset Platy,ABN
90G:Steatocranus Casuarius,OB Peacock,Congo Tetra,Red Swordtails,ABN
alicem

Postby Marduk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Nice tank fmueller. And thanks for the comment.

I still haven't gotten a chance to go to the rock place yet. Everytime I get a chance I either go late and they're closed (they have VERY short winter hours) or it's wet so I can't get the rocks.

If you guys want (and only if you ask) I'll take pictures of what it looks like now. Nothing is really planted yet. The java fern I'm having issues with because it STILL won't attach to the lace rocks yet, where as I can see my anubias is already starting to grab onto the rocks... And the african fern I'm just waiting for it to grab on the rock so I can move it to a different location.

All of the other plants (crypt, apong, swords, etc) are currently just sitting on the sand occasionally being moved around by the fish (they're weighed down using strips of lead).

So far the algae has been diminishing, but just recently I've had another bloom of hair algae... None on the plants though thankfully. I think the Seachem Fluorish Excel is helping a lot...

Also, on my anubias in particular but on some of the sword leaves as well I've noticed dark green spots on some of the leaves, almost looking as if it is rotten in that area...like a green spore or something... Any ideas what that is?

Pictures will have to wait. However if you guys want to see progress shots I'll take them... Perhaps if I do that too I can get ideas from you guys where I should move and plant the anubias, swords, crypts, etc.

~Ed
Marduk

Postby alicem » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:32 pm

Marduk wrote:
I still haven't gotten a chance to go to the rock place yet. Everytime I get a chance I either go late and they're closed (they have VERY short winter hours) or it's wet so I can't get the rocks.

If you guys want (and only if you ask) I'll take pictures of what it looks like now. Nothing is really planted yet.

Yes, pics please.
It's ok if you haven't added more rocks. I'm interested in your plants.
It sounds like you have added alot!
Marduk wrote:The java fern I'm having issues with because it STILL won't attach to the lace rocks yet, where as I can see my anubias is already starting to grab onto the rocks... And the african fern I'm just waiting for it to grab on the rock so I can move it to a different location.

Yeah, java fern is fickle to get to attach and it sometimes gets spots and stuff before it takes off and grows nice. Have you tied it to the lace rock with thread or anything?
Same with the african fern being slow. Be patient.

Marduk wrote:All of the other plants (crypt, apong, swords, etc) are currently just sitting on the sand occasionally being moved around by the fish (they're weighed down using strips of lead).

They are heavy root feeders and will like the flourish tabs you put in.
In an earlier post you asked about putting the tabs close together and deep in the sand, that is fine.
If the tabs are exposed (above the sand) it may also add to algae issues.
Are the crypt, apontg. and swords planted near these tabs?

Marduk wrote:So far the algae has been diminishing, but just recently I've had another bloom of hair algae... None on the plants though thankfully. I think the Seachem Fluorish Excel is helping a lot...

That's good. Just rip that darned ole hair algae out of there!

Marduk wrote:Also, on my anubias in particular but on some of the sword leaves as well I've noticed dark green spots on some of the leaves, almost looking as if it is rotten in that area...like a green spore or something... Any ideas what that is?

Pictures will have to wait. However if you guys want to see progress shots I'll take them... Perhaps if I do that too I can get ideas from you guys where I should move and plant the anubias, swords, crypts, etc.

~Ed

That's a good idea. Pics always help ID stuff, plus we get to see your new plants.
Progress shots are fun.
And you know someone will tell you how your aquascaping should look. :wink:
Do you have a Bristle Nose pleco? They are very good algae eaters their whole life.
A BN will clean up some of that green algae for you.
:thumb:
Alicem
Alicem
alicem

Postby Marduk » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I do have an albino male bristlenose in the tank...he's about 3-4"... Unfortunately they do not eat hair algae...so he hasn't been touching the algae on the glass because it's hair algae... When I do take pics it may look a bit bad because I didn't get a chance to do water changes and scrape the glasses yet...
Marduk

Postby alicem » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:51 pm

Marduk wrote:I do have an albino male bristlenose in the tank...he's about 3-4"...

:thumb:
Marduk wrote:Unfortunately they do not eat hair algae...

true
Marduk wrote:so he hasn't been touching the algae on the glass because it's hair algae...

bummer
Marduk wrote:When I do take pics it may look a bit bad because I didn't get a chance to do water changes and scrape the glasses yet...

Before and after pics of that, too!
:)
Alicem
Alicem
alicem

Postby macclellan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:42 am

this tank gets the "teaser of the year" award.

Absolutely no more talking until Marduk posts a pic. :P
macclellan

Postby Marduk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:38 pm

macclellan wrote:this tank gets the "teaser of the year" award.

Absolutely no more talking until Marduk posts a pic. :P

:lol:
Marduk

Postby fishlids » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:49 pm

Aren't african cichlids like crazy vegetarians? There might be a nipping problem if you add the Cichlids. I keep Mbuna, I don't know if peacocks eat plants like crazy, but I sure know mbuna do.
fishlids

Postby Marduk » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:34 pm

fishlids wrote:Aren't african cichlids like crazy vegetarians? There might be a nipping problem if you add the Cichlids. I keep Mbuna, I don't know if peacocks eat plants like crazy, but I sure know mbuna do.

Not all african cichlids are vegetarians. I keep Malawi haps, and the majority of them are carnivores (though there are a select few dedicated omnivores and herbivores as well). Typically from my experience and knowledge Malawi haps typically do not bother any plants other than typical moving them, dropping sand on them (unintentioanlly), etc. They probably would eat it if it was a fragile plant like anacharis or Madagascar Lace plant but otherwise they don't bother anything.
Marduk

Postby lotsofish » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm

I would definitely tie the anubia and java fern to the rocks with the type of fish you plan on keeping. Other plants I would consider putting in pots. My Africans have totally rearranged my tank. They have moved massive amounts of sand leaving foot wide bare spots. I don't even bother with live plants in their tank. If they could move the heavy rocks, I'm sure they would--instead they like to spit sand on them.
lotsofish

Postby alicem » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 pm

Marduk wrote:Typically from my experience and knowledge Malawi haps typically do not bother any plants other than typical moving them, dropping sand on them (unintentioanlly), etc.

Seriously, I think those guys do it on purpose! :lol:
Alicem
Alicem
alicem

Postby Marduk » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:02 pm

I got the rocks today. Now I just need to find this weekend to bleach-scrub them, especially since some of them have rust on them.
Marduk

PreviousNext

Return to Aquarium Decoration (Rocks, Plants and Substrates)