Lake Malawi Species • Feeding schedule

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Feeding schedule

Postby TeamPisces » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:22 pm

How often do you all feed your fish? I have Yellowtail Acei (juveniles) how often should I feed them?
Will H.
TeamPisces
 
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm
Location: Maryland

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby fredd1e » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:46 am

I feed my display tank twice a day. For tanks with young fish that are growing out I feed three or four times a day, these are smaller feedings though.
180G - Predator Hap tank
55G - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) tank
55G - Grow out tank
User avatar
fredd1e
 
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:05 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby DJRansome » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:30 am

Nothing wrong with 2X daily (1/2 portions) but unless the fish are fry (under 1/2 including tail) 1X daily is fine and even fast one day/week.

You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
User avatar
DJRansome
Global Moderator
 
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:30 am
Location: Little Egg Harbor, NJ

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby ken31cay » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:15 pm

I feed once daily, unless I want to grow out sub-adult fish more quickly, where I may feed 2-3 times per day. But with increased feeding comes increased water changes & tank maintenance.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & Star Sapphire haps
180gal Oscars, Severum
ken31cay
 
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm
Location: Cayman Islands

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby TeamPisces » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks fellas
Will H.
TeamPisces
 
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby sir_keith » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:10 pm

Just to add a postscript... People usually feed their fishes once or twice a day, but that's for their convenience, not for anything having to do with the fishes' biology. In nature, herbivores and omnivores (which constitute the vast bulk of species kept in captivity) forage constantly, so for these fishes many small feedings per day are closer what their caloric intake is like in the wild. In extreme cases, fishes with long digestive tracts are physically unable to process 'large meals.' For example, Ophthalmotilapia will flourish when fed x grams of flakes per day when that amount of food is divided into four or five feedings, but they will languish, and even become ill, if the same amount of food is presented in a single feeding. So, I try to feed my fishes at least twice each day, and when I am going to be home throughout the day, I divide the same amount of food into four or five feedings. Mbuna are not fussy in this regard, oddly enough, because their Tanganyikan ecological counterparts, Tropheus, are very sensitive to diet, both in composition and frequency. So there are no absolutes here, although it is generally true that it is more important how much you feed your fishes, rather than how often you feed them. :fish:
User avatar
sir_keith
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm
Location: Liberty Bay, WA

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby Smeagol » Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:42 pm

DJRansome wrote:Nothing wrong with 2X daily (1/2 portions) but unless the fish are fry (under 1/2 including tail) 1X daily is fine and even fast one day/week.

You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.

Can you elaborate on the "oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans" comment? Oddly shaped in what way?
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Serpae Tetras, Lemon Tetra, Amano Shrimp
User avatar
Smeagol
 
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:41 am

Smeagol wrote:
DJRansome wrote:Nothing wrong with 2X daily (1/2 portions) but unless the fish are fry (under 1/2 including tail) 1X daily is fine and even fast one day/week.

You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.

Can you elaborate on the "oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans" comment? Oddly shaped in what way?


Yeah, I'd really like to see any data whatsoever to support the claim that 'Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.'

However, if what is meant here is that too much food causes obesity- which for sure qualifies as 'oddly shaped' (just look around the next time you're at the beach)- then the statement is clearly true, because obesity is known to shorten the lifespans of virtually all vertebrate species. Including, most prominently, our own. :(
User avatar
sir_keith
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm
Location: Liberty Bay, WA

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby ken31cay » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:11 am

DJRansome wrote:You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.


Perhaps this is pointing to the fishes' decline in health in a tank where overfeeding occurs in combination with insufficient water changes/tank maintenance, where development can take an odd turn in such an environment.
450gal Frontosa (blue Zaire Moba) & Star Sapphire haps
180gal Oscars, Severum
ken31cay
 
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:19 pm
Location: Cayman Islands

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby sir_keith » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:49 am

ken31cay wrote:
DJRansome wrote:You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.


Perhaps this is pointing to the fishes' decline in health in a tank where overfeeding occurs in combination with insufficient water changes/tank maintenance, where development can take an odd turn in such an environment.

Well, if that's the case, we need to distinguish the effects of overfeeding per se, that is, the fishes eating too much food, from poor tank maintenance, that is, pollution resulting from the decay of uneaten food and other aspects of water mismanagement, which is a separate topic. :fish:
User avatar
sir_keith
 
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:57 pm
Location: Liberty Bay, WA

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby Arps1978 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:03 am

I have a tank full of juveniles and currently work from home generally. I would like to do the little and often feed but find if I don't put enough food in for a "once a day type feed" some of the smaller of the fish don't get a look in it appears.
User avatar
Arps1978
 
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:23 am
Location: Swansea, UK

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:16 am

Arps1978 wrote:I have a tank full of juveniles and currently work from home generally. I would like to do the little and often feed but find if I don't put enough food in for a "once a day type feed" some of the smaller of the fish don't get a look in it appears.

That's the same problem I have. That's why I do the once-a-day feed.
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Serpae Tetras, Lemon Tetra, Amano Shrimp
User avatar
Smeagol
 
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby Arps1978 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:38 am

Yeah I use the water movement from the pump to try and spread the flake and/or pellet across the tank. Also the v.small pellets I use I drop most in but crush a few in my fingers before putting in which allows some of the less dominant fish to pick up bits. I have an issue at the moment with two fish, which I have posted about in the health forum.
User avatar
Arps1978
 
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:23 am
Location: Swansea, UK

Re: Feeding schedule

Postby Smeagol » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 pm

Smeagol wrote:
DJRansome wrote:Nothing wrong with 2X daily (1/2 portions) but unless the fish are fry (under 1/2 including tail) 1X daily is fine and even fast one day/week.

You don't want to overfeed to manage algae and keep the fish healthy. Too much food can result in oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans.

Can you elaborate on the "oddly shaped fish that have shorter lifespans" comment? Oddly shaped in what way?


DJ?
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Serpae Tetras, Lemon Tetra, Amano Shrimp
User avatar
Smeagol
 
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:57 am
Location: Ohio, USA


Return to Lake Malawi Species

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests