Lake Malawi Species • Red Zebra hybrid(?) fry - can someone help ID the dad?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Red Zebra hybrid(?) fry - can someone help ID the dad?

Postby christasky » Mon May 24, 2021 11:49 am

Hi all,

First post so please forgive me. My husband maintains our 75 gal tank and in about mid April we noticed our red zebra was holding eggs. 5 survived and we moved the fry to a nursery tank where they are doing well. I’d say they’re about 5 weeks old, as we saw the babies in her mouth on April 28.

We have two pretty dominant males in the tank that rule the roost - a very large yellow tail acei and a bumblebee who is also quite large. The fry had very light stripes on them and what looks like the same markings as the bumblebee. I assumed bumblebee was the father.

However! They have started showing color and I’m wondering, do red zebras turn yellow before they turn orange? The fry have yellow noses and yellow dorsals. All faint. We have a yellow fish in our tank that we aren’t sure if it’s a lab or not.

Anyway I know it’s early in the game but I am excited to play Maury! Haha. Thanks for reading. I have some pics of the fry where you can hopefully see the yellow, and of the tank with the potential baby daddies.
Attachments
E755FF46-E1CC-49BF-BCD8-8FFBA97D93E5.png
4DA1CE8F-108C-4E2F-8985-631086F1A91C.png
F0751FCB-982D-4F34-B4ED-266972E8A60E.jpeg
christasky

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Red Zebra hybrid(?) fry - can someone help ID the dad?

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Red zebras do not turn yellow and then red...they are the adult color at birth. But they are fairly transparent so it may look yellow.

Just based on aggression I would say the crabro is the father.

Keep these fish in your tanks for their lifetimes.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species