Lake Malawi Species • Shipping A Holding Female

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Shipping A Holding Female

Postby DJRansome » Mon May 24, 2021 11:10 am

She will be back to normal. If she got skinny, the "recuperation" will be gaining weight after her 28 day fast through normal eating.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Smeagol » Tue May 25, 2021 10:47 pm

Lots of news.... My first holding female must have finally spit. I didn't see it happen; but her "baby bump" is gone, and she's eating now. So, I guess that's that. Did you notice that I said "my first holding female?" That's because now I have another Yellow Lab that's holding! The first one was already holding when the UPS man brought her to me. This second one must've spawned in my tank, which means I know who the daddy is (a big dominant male jerk named Napoleon). If that isn't enough, last night I saw a pair of Acei spawning. I don't know if they were successful, but they sure were trying hard.
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Serpae Tetras, Lemon Tetra, Amano Shrimp
Smeagol

Postby Auballagh » Tue May 25, 2021 11:34 pm

Yep.
You'll get used to it, soon enough. And, welcome to the African Mbuna world, man. They actually do this kind of thing in the aquarium - ALL THE TIME.
And, like I said earlier.... if you report and share here that you've got a WC female (worth $$$), holding proven F1 babies in her mouth? (Or eggs laid on a spawning site).
-
*ahem*
-
You'll probably wind up getting more C-f PMs than you would believe. :oops:
Find What You Love And Let It kill You!
What matters most is how well you walk through the fire...
- Charles Bukowski -
Auballagh

Postby DJRansome » Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am

She was in the planted tank? How many fry did you get?
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Wed May 26, 2021 12:12 pm

DJRansome wrote:She was in the planted tank? How many fry did you get?

No, I never moved her. I kept her in the 75g.
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Thu May 27, 2021 12:07 am

Update.... I just spotted a single fry hiding in a crevice where larger fish can't reach him (or her). Short of removing it to a different tank, is there anything I can do at this point to increase the odds of survival?
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 27, 2021 8:47 am

Chances are the fry will be fine. You could add a pile of pebbles for it to use as it darts out to grab food if you think it is needed.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Thu May 27, 2021 10:04 am

DJRansome wrote:Chances are the fry will be fine. You could add a pile of pebbles for it to use as it darts out to grab food if you think it is needed.

I don't understand. Before, everyone told me all the fry will get eaten by the adults. Now you're saying it will probably be fine. What's going on?

As for food, what can the fry eat? It's too small to eat regular food, isn't it?
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 27, 2021 12:47 pm

The adults usually eat the fry immediately. IME survivors last forever.

You don't see 20 fry...right?

IME they eat the regular food...even if they drag it into their spot and it softens so they can nibble. If you try to direct fry food to them, it just draws the attention of the adults.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Thu May 27, 2021 5:51 pm

DJRansome wrote:The adults usually eat the fry immediately. IME survivors last forever.

You don't see 20 fry...right?

IME they eat the regular food...even if they drag it into their spot and it softens so they can nibble. If you try to direct fry food to them, it just draws the attention of the adults.

No, I don't see 20 fry. But I didn't see this one either for a few days. There very well could be more of them hiding in other crevices outside my line of sight. But assuming there is only one, that still doesn't answer my question. The conventional wisdom seems to be that fry are a quick and easy snack for the adults. That's what I was told repeatedly. How did we move from the assumption that the fry will get eaten to the assumption that this one particular fry will not get eaten? How does surviving 3 days make so much difference?

As for food drawing the attention of the adults, that might be moot point. They're already aware of him. A few adults have darted at him, tried to catch him, but he can get far back into the crevice where they can't reach him. But he will have to come out eventually, right? He can't live in that little crevice forever.
Smeagol

Postby DJRansome » Thu May 27, 2021 6:40 pm

The answer is: they eat the fry immediately. Any left the next day are likely to be ignored. It is not as black/white as that, but trying to make the point.

It is likely some of the attraction when they are first spit is the frenzy and the inability of the fry to hide. The adults lose interest quickly. Remember they are not really predator fish.

He will come out and they will ignore him...eventually.
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Smeagol » Thu May 27, 2021 7:47 pm

DJRansome wrote:The answer is: they eat the fry immediately. Any left the next day are likely to be ignored. It is not as black/white as that, but trying to make the point.

It is likely some of the attraction when they are first spit is the frenzy and the inability of the fry to hide. The adults lose interest quickly. Remember they are not really predator fish.

He will come out and they will ignore him...eventually.

OK. Thanks for that explanation! I think this is the first time I've heard about the distinction between those that get eaten immediately and those that survive a few days.
Smeagol

Postby Livvie15 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:36 pm

My Mbuna Will. Not. Stop. Breeding!! I occasionally see a baby that has survived but then they disappear.

The first few times they seemed to hold for 2-3 weeks but now they’ve gotten better at it they seem to hold onto the fry longer, and their chins are bigger too hahah. It’s so cool when you can see the little fry looking out of mum's mouth. I can sometimes see their eyes through the mother's cheeks when they are big enough.

It seems as soon as one spits them out, a different female is then holding. I don’t know how I don’t get any survivors tbh as there’s 6 females breeding all the time. Each female usually has more eggs again within a few weeks of letting the previous batch go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Livvie15

Postby Smeagol » Thu May 27, 2021 9:22 pm

Livvie15 wrote:My Mbuna Will. Not. Stop. Breeding!! I occasionally see a baby that has survived but then they disappear.

The first few times they seemed to hold for 2-3 weeks but now they’ve gotten better at it they seem to hold onto the fry longer, and their chins are bigger too hahah. It’s so cool when you can see the little fry looking out of mum's mouth. I can sometimes see their eyes through the mother's cheeks when they are big enough.

It seems as soon as one spits them out, a different female is then holding. I don’t know how I don’t get any survivors tbh as there’s 6 females breeding all the time. Each female usually has more eggs again within a few weeks of letting the previous batch go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which species do you have?
Smeagol

Postby Smeagol » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Do females always spit all their fry at one time? Or might they spit a couple today, a couple more tomorrow, and so on?
Smeagol

PreviousNext

Return to Lake Malawi Species