Lake Malawi Species • Maximum size... says who?

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Re: Maximum size... says who?

Postby noki » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 pm

Mbuna are known to grow unnaturally large and literally fat in captivity on the common fish foods. This is not that unusual.

Is growing them so big and fat good or desirable? Probably not. Are these worth a high price tag? No, other than a novelty. Older and overweight, they will only go downhill in attractiveness.

If you want a Mbuna that gets unbelievably large, keep feeding a Crabro. They get huge, and look a beautiful solid dirt brown.
noki

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Smeagol » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:16 pm

noki wrote:Mbuna are known to grow unnaturally large and literally fat in captivity on the common fish foods. This is not that unusual.

Is growing them so big and fat good or desirable? Probably not. Are these worth a high price tag? No, other than a novelty. Older and overweight, they will only go downhill in attractiveness.

If you want a Mbuna that gets unbelievably large, keep feeding a Crabro. They get huge, and look a beautiful solid dirt brown.

Agreed. I think they're ugly compared to my 2.5" beauties. I was just shocked at their size. I didn't know Yellow Labs could get that big. And others here seemed skeptical.....
75g = Yellow-tail Acei, Yellow Labs, Maingano
20g Planted = Harlequin Rasboras, Lemon Tetras, Amano Shrimp
Smeagol

Postby Haplochromine guy » Mon May 03, 2021 4:37 pm

Now I'll be looking for those monsters.
Haplochromine guy

Previous

Return to Lake Malawi Species