Lake Malawi Species • Male-female ratio

Discussion regarding only Lake Malawi species.

Moderators: Chester B, DJRansome

Male-female ratio

Postby Jai'galaar » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:18 am

I've been doing my research about the topic mentioned in the title and I got an advice that I shouldn't keep three sepcies in 55 with 1m:4f ratio because this amount of females will cause too much agression between the males in the tank. Instead the guy recommended to do a 6 species tank with trios, he said it could be more peaceful :-?
Did anyone try such a thing? I can't imagine how can it be good.
Jai'galaar

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Male-female ratio

Postby Idech » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:29 am

I have 6 species in a 48x18 tank (75 gallons) and they are as much as possible 1m:3f except one group 1m:2f. I chose relatively peaceful species. My set-up is not conventional as per this site but it’s working so far. They are still juveniles but now probably 2/3 of their adult size or more.

I first had about half of the same fish in a 36 inches long tank and they were trying to kill each other. I don’t know how it would work in a 55 gallons.
Idech

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:28 am

First know you will not get the same advice everywhere, trying to achieve that will be an exercise in frustration.

How could fewer females create less aggression? I have always had trouble with trios and quads, but 1m:4f or even more females has worked better IME.

I actually have never heard anyone suggest trios reduce male aggression. :-?
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Postby Fogelhund » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:55 pm

DJRansome wrote:First know you will not get the same advice everywhere, trying to achieve that will be an exercise in frustration.

How could fewer females create less aggression? I have always had trouble with trios and quads, but 1m:4f or even more females has worked better IME.

I don't see how trios would reduce aggression, that seems odd... more males, more aggression, no matter the ratios.

Ratios are really species dependent..also, it really depends on how you want to stock. If you went with a single species tank... you could easily do four males, eight females, of the same species... which is technically trios.. :lol:

But a 55 gallon, I'd stick with three species for sure, and ratios depend a little bit upon species.
Fogelhund

Postby Jai'galaar » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Fogelhund wrote:
DJRansome wrote:First know you will not get the same advice everywhere, trying to achieve that will be an exercise in frustration.

I don't see how trios would reduce aggression, that seems odd... more males, more aggression, no matter the ratios.

Ratios are really species dependent..also, it really depends on how you want to stock. If you went with a single species tank... you could easily do four males, eight females, of the same species... which is technically trios.. :lol:

But a 55 gallon, I'd stick with three species for sure, and ratios depend a little bit upon species.

Well, it's just a thing I heard, not my plan... I want to stick with the 1:4 but it's gonna be a bit of a challenge since I can only get unsexed juveniles.
I've just heard this thing and got confused by it, that's all.
Jai'galaar

Postby DJRansome » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:03 pm

Most of us can only get unsexed juveniles as a rule from the reliable vendors...we buy 8 if we want to end up with 4 females. Rehome any troublesome males.
125G Borleyi, Multipunctata
75G Demasoni, Msobo, Lucipinnis
75G Calvus, Similis, Petricola
DJRansome
Global Moderator

Return to Lake Malawi Species